Sport Trac Lore

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Clark

Reaction score
Before I forget again,,,

On the way out a recent off roading trip to Anza Borego (thats a desert in San Diego Kalifornia),, my 1973 HI Scout II broke down on a dark, cold, lonely country road at 1:30 AM. Fortunatly I had cell coverage and a very nice tow truck driver showed up before my ever loving, supportive, trooper of a wife froze to death. (yet another thing to thank Libratarian Creator for).. Any ways,, we got home, napped,, loaded up ye old trusty 2001 model B 4x4 eploder Sport Trac and hauled-ass back to a desert resort we almost made it to the night before.

Whilest wheeling about in good great OHV play ground we (Me, Kaloz (me wife), Kevin and Mandy) happened upoun the coolest park ranger police guy ever. I do belelive his name was J.P. Riesman...

Anyways he was doing a dry run for the next weekends motor tour of the park and envited us along. It was the bomb! Petrified Camel tracts, 5 million year old oyster bar, Fonts peak over looking the Borego Bad Lands where Fox Molder jumped off a cliff and landed in another Valley after being in the spaceship while Scully was looking for little Mister I can read your mind Price...

Anyways enough X-Files lore,, back to the Sport Trac!,,

Off in the distance J.P. pointed out Squaw Peak,, and we had to ask,, whats the deal,, why point that peak out? "Well" he says,,, "that is where we test all the new cars before they come out.. I have driven almost anything you can think of from a mayjor car manufature over that peak,, or at least part way up it. Oh, by the way my other job is testing cars."

So I say "Wait just a minute, you mean to tell me you not only work in the park 4 wheeling all day with a gun, body armor and wearing shorts, but you get to wheel brand new cars to there limit? " He said "yah",,

I wepted,,

Once I had regained my composure, he continued,, "I have drivened a toyota matrix of that hill I even drove a Sport Trac over it., one time we were testing the new roll over sensors and we had the vehicle well beyond where the sensors detected eminent roll over and it never tipped at least not in that vehicle. "

I was in awe,, I wepted some more..

JP continues,, "as I recall, the Sport Trac Project was called "White Rabbit" they all get some sort of code name so that we can do our work with out leaking information to the press before our studies are complete, many times the vehicles have disguises,, coverings, add one features to distort their appearnces and so on. Sometimes reporters fall for it and stuff we added to the car winds up being critisized in an articles."

So naturaly at the end of the tour, We headed straight for Squae Peak, JP said Kevins Stock Rubicon would make it over the hardest part but that my ST would not.,, that was hard to take from J.P. ,, seeing how he was my new hereo.. but maybe he was egging me on.. cause you know I drove over it any ways :D

I must say after one realy steap assent my wife complained about her sweaty palms and shortness of breath, but she was fine once she passed out. :unsure: anyways she came to before the desent,, (yah I waited and revived her). I told her look Mandy and Kevin are already waiting at the bottom. We went down,, I told my wife to ask Mandie what she thought,, so I pulled up window to window so they could chat. As Mandy rolled down her window it was evident she had been crying. I said see honey,, it was tough for her too,, you will get use to it, there is no more need to jump out before we go up, and this way I dont have to back track to get you anymore. :)