SPORTTRAC TIRE CUPPING IS FORDS PROBLEM.. NOT YOURS!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ford has a front end problem from the factory, though they say the settings are within limits of Ford specifications, it causes the goodyear AT tires to cup from day one! They know there is a problem with it. There is a TSB put out in May 2005 about the sporttrac tires and they should replace them... but not our Ford dealer in Pensacola! We took the truck in to be looked at in November, a 3rd time, and they said they checked for a TSB, but there wasnt one. I was so dissatisfied with them but.... a small town dealership in NC really helped me out because they knew I had been done wrong by that dealership. They could not pulll up any history on the oaisis about my tires, though I had been complaining and complaining about them. She checked the TSB and found it had been out since May 05. I Had the tires described in the TSB and agreed to give me 4 new tires. When I pulled up to pick up my wife with the new tires, we drove 100 yards down the road and she started crying because the stress of hearing those loud, headache producing, noisy tires was gone. She was so relieved. We are still skeptical though, looking for signs of cupping out of habit. Well are very relieved, but still very upset we spent almost $30k and were treated by the big dealer like we were stupid. They told us it was our fault too, not rotating and balancing even when we showed them the paperwork. It was always our fault. I do not accept it and neither should any of you! Write and call Dearborne Michigan and give em hell!

I don't know if you've changed your shocks. If you haven't, do it NOW. The major cause of tire cupping on the ST are the weak factory shocks that do not dampen the suspension oscillation. Doesn't matter much which tires you have, they will all cup with the factory shocks. There is no TSB or any action by Ford regarding the shocks; but we know about it here and you will find near unanamous agreement that you need to get rid of factory shocks as soon as you drive it off the dealer's lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
What TSB# did you quote them? I have an '04 with 6k miles doing the same, despite the fact I Change the shocks to ranchos at 1500miles....

Edit; I notice this your first post, Welcome!!

Last edited by a moderator:
William,

While I sympathize with you and your tire cupping problem, there are many people here who have never had that problem. I personally have had 2 Sport Tracs, a 2001 and now a 2003 and have never had a problem.

Tire cupping is caused by the tire/wheel bouncing excessively. This can be caused by weak or worn shocks, a bent wheel, and even damaged or misaligned suspension/steering parts.

Perhaps some Sport Tracs have left the factory with improper alignment or defective shocks, but it does not appear to be the majority of the vehciles.

If there is a TSB related to the tire cupping problem, it would be a better service to get the TSB number and post it here so other can see if it applies to them and have some ammunition to take to their Ford dealer.

Another thing about Sport Tracs is they appear to be very sensitive to the alignment specs, and one of our members who is a Ford service Tech indicates that Sport Trac's have "Within Specs" and "Prefered Specs". He recommends that you always align the Sport Trac to the "Prefered Specs" rather than just to Specs.

...Rich

My ST still has the stock goodyears. I bought it when it had 29K. Now it has 44K and I haven't even rotated them. They're getting worn, but not cupped. They do suck on wet roads though.

I have to agree with Richard, Frank, and Fred. Although some people have had problems, and the Goodyear tires are nowhere near great, I have had mine on for over 46,000 miles and have had no problems whatsever. I check my tire pressure often and do a five tire rotation every 5,000 miles and still have 7/32 of tread left.

Chris

What's the TSB #? Who's can print it for us to see?

I'm interested to see, but honestly, I have gotten pretty good service out of all my tires except for the fact that the crapyears were dry-rotting and cracking on the sidewall that was not exposed (the blackwall side). There was some cupping but I contribute that to the fact that I sometimes forget to rotate as often as I should. :( since DW drives the track much more than I do anymore.

The ST is an american vehicle which means by design it is going to have some flaws! The cupping problem is real. It is not the tires, shocks, alignment or anything of that nature. It is the truck, not all, but more than there should be. I have 150,000 miles and am on my 3rd set of tires. first two sets cupped badly. This current set does not...why...cause I rotate every 5000 miles. This is the only thing that has worked. Things have gotten better for the US vehicle manufacturers....they have reduced the amount of lemons they produce...but still have problems such as this more often than our asian vehicle friends. :cool:

Mine came with Michelins and no cupping present at 40K. Just changed out shocks last summer. I agree with km5er. While American manufactures have improved their vehicles they still cut corners and put cheap crap on a lot of the vehicles, especially the ST (shocks, brake pads, etc.) It seems like they will do anything to save what amounts to a few bucks per vehicle. Guess it all adds up though and one way or another they have to be able to pay for overpriced union labor.

I replaced the shocks twica, had an alignment and my Goodyear tires cupped. Replaced the tires with BFG tires and no cupping.

Yup, it would have to be the American POS I drive that is built by unskilled union scumbag workers.

Tom

Boilermakers Local 900

Barberton, Oh

Tire cupping is not very predictable. If you run bad tires with bad shocks on very smooth roads, you will probably not experience cupping since there is no significant tire bounce. Run really good tires with bad shocks on bumpy roads and you might get cupping. The experience of the long time members here though is that the weak factory shocks are likely to be the greatest contributing factor to tire cupping problems. Other alignment issues cause other types of uneven wear. Cupping is caused by suspension bounce. Take care of the bounce [better shocks] and cupping is minimized.

Changed my shocks with 5k miles on my truck. I have NEVER rotated my tires. At 37K miles now. No cupping what so ever....

The good years are KNOWN for cupping, add the ST soft shocks in the mix......

Todd Z

The Goodyear tires are an all terrain tire, so the rubber compound is softer and on street use will cup easier. I had goodyears when I bought my 2001, I replaced the shocks and the tires at 29,000 miles, the goodyears were shot, all 4 of them were cupped. I replace them with bridgestone duellers and reflex shocks. The difference was night and day. I tell anybody to replace the factory shocks, you would get a stiffer ride. Conversly most people that arn't hardcore like us, like the softer factory shocks because they get a softer ride. This subject has been discussed almost as much as the #1 question"what kind of oil?":p

Y'all have a good one

Bob

I had no problems with cupping on my first '04 ST (a 4X2), but my second '04 ST (a 4X4) was eating my Revos fast until I got new shocks and a proper alignment. Believe it or not, the soft outer layer of rubber on the Revos is wearing off now, to expose the harder interior rubber, and now the cupping is becoming less noticeable. I can actually hear people talking to me from the rear seat again, which I think is awesome. :)

My Trac came with Michelins, not Goodyear and I had cupping on the front left tire at less than 20k miles... But can we get a TSB reference number?:)

Latest posts