spray paint removal from hood?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Lovell

Reaction score
Hello, I was looking at my hood the other day and it looks like some how I got spray paint over spray on my my hood. I have no idea where it came from but the white speckles on my blue hood is going to drive me nuts. Any idea how I can clean this with out damaging my truck paint?

Thanks

Have you tried a clay bar? I had my building painted once and the painters covered the cars, but some still got over-spay. They took care of it with clay bars.

Lacquer reducer. The body shops use it. Won't hurt the paint, but it will take off all the wax. So you'll have to re-wax it. I've done this before when they painted new lines on the Parkway and didn't block off the wet paint. Parkway Authority said 'oh well, not our problem' (both sides of a black pickup) Took most of a day! Try the reducer, it will work. Bob

DO NOT USE LACQUER REDUCER !!!! It will eat the paint off your truck almost instantly. You don't need to use any harsh chemicals to remove paint overspray.

The Claybar should remove the overspray without too much work. Howver if the claybar does not get all the overspray off, you may have to use some very fine polishing compound, (cornstarch and water mixed into a thin slurry works great) either by hand or with an orbital car buffer/polisher. If you use a power buffer/polisher be carefull that you don't eat through the clear coat, especially on corners, ridges, or the edges of the hood. You will know when you have gone too far when you start to see the paint color starting to appear on your buffing pad. It's always a safe idea to cover the edges, ridges and corners with blue painter's tape to prevent accidently over buffing these areas. After you power buffed/polished the hood, remove the tape and finish the polishing and buffing of these areas by hand.

You should be able to buff/polish the paint overspray off with little or no loss of your clear coat.

Then the only problem you will have is that your truck looks so good with the buffed hood that you will have to buff the rest of the truck to match...:grin:

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I use non abrasive Scratch remover..... Works all the time and does not damage paint or clearcoat...

Todd Z

Todd may be right, since there are several automotive cleaner waxes that will remove small scratches as well as other hard to remove dirt including paint scrapes and overspray.

At one of the National Sport Trac meets in Louisville, KY, it brush against a yellow barrel with my black Sport Trac and it left a nasty yellow paint streak on the side of my truck near the rear wheel arch. Someone had a cleaner/wax that claimed it would remove scratches and paint scrapes. I think it was NX wax, but I don't recall the brand. We tried it and it removed the yellow paint streak from my truck with no visible blemishes in my paint.

...Rich

Richard, I beg to differ. I have done this several times with NO effect to the paint whatever. Not sure where you came up with that. Bob

Bob C.

I have done my share of car painting over the years and you are totally way off base. There is actually no such thing as Lacquer Reducer...it is actually Lacquer Thinner...There are Urethane Reducers, and Enamal Reducers which are used to thin those paints to spraying viscosity but Lacquer only uses Thinner. Many people use the term Lacquer Reducer but reducers and thinners are different products, however Lacquer Reducer and Lacquer Thinner are exactly the same thing, and is classified as a Thinner.

As to where I came up with Lacquer "Reducer" damaging paint...its from years of experience, and here is a more up to date source:

Answer:

Lacquer thinner (any containing strong solvents like ketones , xylene, toluene, etc) will damage any paint, including clearcoat. A single pack acrylic clearcoat is most vunerable(thinners will destroy it.) , and 2-pack urathane is more resistant, but will soften on the surface and lose its gloss if wiped with lacquer thinners. Thinners for alkyd enamels is fine. It is a mild hydrocarbon solvent found in wax and grease remover, and won't damage the paint.

Having said that, Lacquer thinner can often be used to quickly remove various types of grease, tar and paint splatters from your vehicles paint, but you must use it very sparingly and wipe it on and wipe it off quickly...if it sits very long.. (in as little as 10 seconds or less), or you rub too long in one spot it can permanently damage the paint. :cry:

Yes, some body shops will use Lacquer Thinner to clean some stubborn spots from your paint, but then they are professionals and know what it can do if they let it linger too long or rub too much in one area....or Goodbye paint! :cry:

I would never recommend that anyone use Lacquer thinner or harsh chemicals on their vehicle when they don't know necessarily how to use it or the damage it can do.

Bob, you implied that it was perfectly safe to use Lacquer Thinner (Reducer) without even knowing or warning FlexMy04 about the damage it can do to his paint. You just assumed because you saw a body shop guy use it, or that you may used it without any harm to your paint it was harmless...that means you just got lucky and have no clue how dangerous it can be.

Different paints react very differently to different solvents and Lacquer Thinner is one of the more agressive solvents, and it will attack almost all automotive paint finishes....just faster on some finishes than others....and if you don't know what kind of paint you have on your vehicle or how fast Lacquer Thinner will take to damage your paint, it's best not to even try it.

...Rich

Well I'm certainly glad a 'professional' cleared that up! You seem to know what you're talking about and have some facts to back it up. I am speaking from my own actual experience, as I'm not a complete novice in this field. But thanks for your wonderful insight. Bob

Bob C,

Thanks for your disingenuous reply.

:haveabeer:

...Rich

Acisne,5/14/2012 21:29 ET

Have you tried a clay bar? I had my building painted once and the painters covered the cars, but some still got over-spay. They took care of it with clay bars.

Asisne's reply is most likely used by professional paint shops or detailers.

More labor intensive, but the smallest chance of causing clearcoat damage.

Richard, I apologize if my response was misunderstood by you. That was not my intent, only to acknowledge your superior experience and knowledge and relate my own limited experience. Simple. Bob

Latest posts