SpybotS&D help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Poole

Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

I have run into a problem with my mother-in-law's computer, she has XP. I have both AD-Aware and spybot on her computer. Well I have run into a few spamware that spybot can't take out. I also went into *safe mode* and ran the programs. still have the same 8 hanging around. Y'all out there in sporttrac land have any ideas?.

Have a good one

Bob

P.S. I also have that new Microsoft anti-spamware beta on it also.

:blink:

You might also want to try the free Microsoft antispyware program from their website, www.microsoft.com. It will also do a daily scan and automatically update itself.

Robert,

What are the 8 programs that can't be removed? Do any of them say cool web search? There is a program that you can run called cwshredder to take care of those. Also, download and run hijackthis. It's a program that will show you everything starting and running on the computer, plus any toolbars and browser hijackers. Get back with more details and I can help you further.

George

Spybot gives you tools to see all the programs running in memory. If you know computers well you can simply delete suspect BHOs, programs, ActiveX's, and non-essential cookies manually. This is what I do when the anti-spyware programs can't fully get rid of them (usually there is a malicious spyware program loaded into memory which keeps replacing them even if you delete them. Deleting the offending program usually solves the probelm, but it takes some skill to know what to delete and what not to).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had good luck with NoAdware. It's found spybots and eliminated them that others have failed to do.

I have the CWS shredder, I used it on her computer, spybot says that there are programs in memory, I will crawl into the computer and see what she has running, I have half of the processes running in the background that she does so I will probably do a comparison and delete some of the extra crap that she has running in the background. part of the problem is that my wife and motherin law don't run the anti-spyware programs weekly like I do, and they kinda pile up in hers. I understand that when one is married, one shares.....except my computer.;)

Have a good one

Bob

Have you tweaked the apps that are loading up at start up? You can do that with msconfig to select which apps are gonna be loaded up at start up (In my case, only the antivirus and the adobe gamma loader -- as I'm into graphic design)

Another good idea is to use Firefox or Mozilla instead of IE to stay away from spyware

I got a full version of Spysweeper (Altho I find it amazingly annoying and resource intensive) but it works fine -- Normally, I'd install it, run it and then uninstall it -- I could send ya a copy of it

Have you updated the Spybot definitions?

Latest posts