squeak from the driveshaft?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brock Lagunas

Reaction score
OK!! this is for all of you guys that like challenging questions. all of the sudden i notice a squeak coming from my driveshaft. its only when it turns and when i put my ear to it by the axle i can hear it real good, but also when i put me ear at the top by the tranny. so im starting to wonder, is there something inside of our driveshafts? my only other guess was maybe the u-joints. but im not sure... what do yall think? :wacko:

yeah you would figure the u joints right? but then again ford.... they might have put some weird sensor in the middle of it or something. :lol:

any more thoughts?

How are you putting your ear on your driveshaft when it turns?

How are you putting your ear on the top of your tranny?

Is this a joke?

Tom

U-joints do squeak when they start to fail in many cases. The problem is, the OEM joints are not designed to be greased.

They are fairly cheap to replace compared to some of the other items it can be. And,,,, you can get greaseable joints to prevent this from happening in the future.

Because of it's location it could be bearing in the rear end and the noise is traveling into the shaft. But you have to start somewhere.