squeaking in the belt area and revving

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Trax

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got another gremlin. I've posted previously about the squeaking in the belt area but it still hasn't completely gone away. What i've noticed is that the chirping or whine noise has been reduced after changing my idler and tensioner pulley. The sound also is much noticeably less frequent during idle after changing the alternator. Yet when I push the throttle past 2-3K rpm, it makes a interval chirp. Any suggestions? I have a ford oem serpentine belt changed previously, only 30K mi old, changed 3 yrs ago. Do Gates belt, part no K060868, produce any noise problems? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
did a search on "Serpentine Belt" and found the part no.:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

2001-2005 ST belt is a Gates K060865

BUT get a Gates K060860 and you will be much happier !!!!

Todd Z

re: '04 ST serpentine belt? by CraigC,3/30/2008 17:49 PT

Quote:

BUT get a Gates K060860 and you will be much happier !!!!

Why is that? What makes this one better/different?

re: '04 ST serpentine belt? by Todd Z,3/30/2008 18:14 PT

The belt is slightly shorter, IT will grab the pulleys better and keep more tension on the belt as it stretches and breaks in..

Todd Z

re: '04 ST serpentine belt? by shaun ,3/31/2008 04:15 PT

will this stop the belt squeel?

my belt started again aftr 6months.

S.Haskell

re: '04 ST serpentine belt? by Todd Z,3/31/2008 04:45 PT

It stopped mine from chirping and also stopped my belt float at high RPM's, I would loose my power steering because the belt would slip...

Todd Z

Did the suggested belt replacement, and the sound has disappeared, finally. What I learned is that there can be numerous cause for whine or chirp, and can't simply be attributed to one aspect. But each on its own can contribute to the problem. It's a cool thing to hear my truck's growl just like old times. Thanks for all your responses, I finally can give my head a rest.

Latest posts