Squeaking leaf spring

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Cowpar

Reaction score
I have an obnoxious squeak coming from the rear suspension every time I go over even the slightest bump. Has anyone else had this problem? I have the EE rear sway bar on, but that appears to be functioning fine. Thoughts?

Grease the EE bushings, just in case. Grease the sway bar endlink bushings. I'm betting this is actually the culprit as it was in my case. Also there have been issues with squeaking coming from the tailgate and I think the lock pins.

<font color=red>Additional info:

<a href="http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=693226&SUB=694062&sitename=mysporttrac"target=top>Linkey to tailgate squeak</a>

<b>Technical Service Bulletins</b>

2002 EXPLORER SPORT TRAC

Could be one of these TSB's...

04-21-3

SQUEAKING NOISE FROM REAR SWAY BAR LINK

03-19-4

BODY - POWER REAR WINDOW RATTLE WHEN IN VENT POSITION

NOISE - POWER REAR WINDOW RATTLE WHEN IN VENT POSITION

02-3-5

BODY - "SQUEAK" OR BIND FROM TAILGATE

NOISE - "SQUEAK" OR BIND FROM TAILGATE

</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
When my 02 ST was about 6 months old it developed a squeek in the driver rear. I tracked it down to where the leaf springs are wraped in a metal band to keep the leaves aligned. The band had a rubber piece that had worn loose, allowing the leaves to rub together. A bit of spray silicone applied several times stopped the noise.

when in doubt... grease it.Which reminds me, any thoughts or opinions on the apparently non-greaseable front end components on the sport trac (at least 2005's)?.

when in doubt... grease it.Which reminds me, any thoughts or opinions on the apparently non-greaseable front end components on the sport trac (at least 2005's)?.

Latest posts