Squealing serpentine belt

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnmaine

Reaction score
This belt is about 10 months old.....it wont squeal all the time. it'll stop for a while then come back again. the pulleys seem fine .. the idler pulley has a little little play. I put belt dressing on it made it worse.....so cleaned it up... I'll spray alcohol into the groves on the belt for the hell of it, it stops.....for a few minutes then comes back. So this tells me it's the belt Right?

Thanks

Belt dressing on serpentine belts is a no-no.

If the alchol stop the squeal. JMO, bad belt despite the age. Not imposible you bought a belt that sat in the stock room for years. The rubber aged just tires will. Dry and hardend.

Try a Dayco Poly-Cog #5060860. It is .5" shorter and will bite better. The cogs and shorter helps. Also when you take your belt off. Test the tensonor spring for reisitance. If you are suspicous that it is worn. Buy the Gates replacement.

I originaly replaced my stock belt with the gates belt .5" shorter. I still had problems with grip. The poly-cog belt fixed it. The gates brand tensoner has a flat spring not spiral. Much better spring.

Eddie nailed it. A 1/2" shorter belt silenced my belt noise instantly.

Just looking at the belt tensioner marks, the stock belt is too long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine was fixed by the Ford dealer under a service bulletin for the Sport Trac. Mine was fixed in 2010. Check with the dealer. They replaced the belt and the pulley with a new design.

Ditto Eddie's post. But I'm running a gates belt for about 10K miles with no issues or noises. I did replace the idler and tensioner. I knew the tensioner was about to go. When I was removing the belt, the spring in the tensioner just snapped on me.

I switched to the Dayco Poly-Cog, when I put on underdrive pullys. I had a new shorter Gates on there. But the power steering pump was still slipping. Under hard acceleration.

The Dayco poly-cog solved it.

Thanks everybody for your answers....I removed the belt clean it and ran brake cleaner thru all the pulleys and cleaned. All pulleys are fine. Stopped the squeal just a slight chirp. it is a Napa belt I will replace it with a Dayco. Here in Maine the only place that sells it is Advanced Auto it's called Dayco Poly Rib Poly-Rib Belt not Dayco Poly Cog it is the same right?

When I search in Advanced Auto this number: Dayco Poly-Cog #5060860 it gives me POLY RIB

Found this on some forum,

Dayco Poly Cog

I'm the Director of Marketing for Dayco Products in North America. A few years ago we changed our national brand serpentine belt construction from Poly Cog to Poly Rib "W" belts. Why? Today's belt are now made with EPDM rubber to last 100K miles. Today's OE belt drives are not created equal and some can be real demanding. Since these EPDM belts have stiffer charactoristics, they are prone to make noise with slight misalignments. Dayco engineers created the "W" Rib to allow the stiff rib to conform to slight misalignments and not make noise. Every manufacturer was forced to make this change to EPDM and everyone faced noise issues. The change from Poly Cog to Poly Rib was a running change as inventory ran out. This started in 2007 so lots are gone. AutoZone and Advance may still have your number.