Squeek Under ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Hi there...

I noticed lately that my ST has a squeeky sound coming from it, I thought at first it was the fan belt needing to be replaced, but after checking this theory out, I realized it only does it when the vehicle is in gear. Idling in park there is no noise at all. I put it in drive, with the brake on and it squeeks like it needs a new belt, when I drive off it stops, after going a couple k/hr...

Is IS coming from under the car, not the belt 100% for sure...

What could this be?

Chris, if it's a u joint (which I don't think it would be due to the fact it sounds like it's doing it when you AREN'T moving, correct?), there are no grease fittings. (unfortunately) Get yourself secured to the bottom of your truck and have someone drive it with you hanging underneith. You should get a good idea where it's comming from.:lol: Just kidding. I have had a metalic "rattle" every time my back tires hit a bump that I've been trying to figure out since I bought the ST. I just replaced the rear endlinks but it's been to cold to drive with the windows down to see if that was it. I know it's dangerous but you could have someone in the cab (that you literally trust with your life) hold thier foot on the brakes (and have the emergency brake on also) put it in gear while you are under it. Like I said, it would be dangerous but may be the only way to figure it out. Can't say I'd do it, I would probably just live with it till it quits.;)

U-joints can squeak while the vehicle is not moving. There is enough torque and slop in the drive train to have them move enough to squeak, especially if the bearings are worn.

I had this in my 4Runner and it was hard to diagnose. I had a friend apply throttle while in gear with the parking brake was engaged and I hunted around for the noise source.

It's worth a check.

i just had the same problem and i took it in (3 days ago). Something about the bearings and the belt, and you can't just replace the bearings, you have to buy a whole new part (surprise surprise). I got it fixed and it runs a whole lot better, and it was about 150-175 dollars. If it's the same squeaking noise that I had, then that should be it. Hope this helps.

Latest posts