ST Gremlin?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Miles

Reaction score
Started the 04 Trac the other day and as soon as I turned the key the driver's door locked (just as the Trac started). Shut it off and unlocked the door and started it again. Same thing, driver's door locked. Shut it down unlocked all doors, restarted and all was normal. During the day the driver's door locked just as I started the Trac, then it want away. Then I noticed my trip meter had reset itself. Now everything seems ok, but I am wondering if this is the beginning of a problem or just a one glitch that corrected itself?

Thanks for any info.

Holyokeman,

My ST did all of that last year. Come to find out it was the battery dying. Just before I replaced the battery (when it finally would not crank over), the trip meter would go from resetting itself sometimes, to everytime I cranked it over. After I replaced my battery, everything went back to normal...

I'll have to check my battery as well. A few weeks ago some colder (below 0) temps all 4 doors locked when I turned it on. The bigger problem was having my 2 and 3 year olds strapped in their carseats and found out my door locks are also siezed up so my spare keys wouldn't work either. I had to call the Police to let me in. At least that only cost $16, I'm afraid how much it would be to get the locks fixed, I usually just use my remote unlock/lock buttons to get in the truck.

I agree. My 07 was recently acting up with the Airbag symbol showing. Changed the battery and all is great.

Additionally, my wife's old 01 Explorer's alarm kept going off while driving. Again, changed the battery and it was fine.

My '04 did the same thing with the locks first. Then other elec gremlins. The fix was a new battery.

MY '05 did something similar. First, the cruise control would not engage till it was pressed repeatedly; then the door locks started locking instantly, sometimes off-and-on. Then the starter got real quiet. It started but I coundn't hear the starter. This is with the original battery but only 40,000 miles on the truck. New battery fixed all symptoms......

JohnnyO wrote:
Hmm, my airbag light has been coming on intermittently for the last two weeks.

Just like mine. I thought it was the cold weather down here in south Florida.

Battery will fix it.