st is hard on tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris boyd

Reaction score
my st feels like it is pulling a boat all the time and is waers tires out way to soon. has anyone had trouble...2004 4x4 with about 100.000 no it..

Check your shocks. control arm bushings, and wheel bearings too.

p.s. We've been running Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza's, on our '01 job 2, since spring of '06 and they still have plenty of tread on them. They were a replacement for tires that prematurely wore out when our control arm bushings went out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sport Tracs can be quite easy on tires. I changed the factory tires at 104k, and the second set at about 165k. AT 175k right now the third set still looks new.

Is that how many miles you've towed it on a trailer cause dang, that is a lot of miles on the factory goodyears.

Don't use the Goodyear wrangler RTS tires. They have terrible wear on our tracs.

Eddie <><

I just put new Goodyear RTS's on my van. The original Hankooks lasted 165000 miles. The new tires brought back real quick the feeling the van had new ......... wandering all over the lane of travel. At first I was going to blame the RTS's but maybe it's not them. I won't put them on my ST though!

RT/S tires ride and handle OK for the first 10,000 miles or so, then they start cupping, hydroplane all over at any moisture, and get real noisy. These tires SUCK.

I switched over to GY Fortera Silent Armors because of the same complaints above. One good thing I can say about the original RTS' is that they did provide slightly better mileage. I used to average 16mpgs, but with the new Forteras, it's dropped to 14-15 mpgs .

i bought the st off the showroom floor and it destoryed a set of goodyears so i took it back to the dealer and they said they alined the truck but is still drove poorly so i toke it to a tire place and they said it still had the shipping plates in the front and the dealer can not move any part of the front end until that peace has been removed..he removed the spacers and realined the frontend it is mush better but still not right.

I have the stock GY Forteras on my 08. They have 16k on them right now and I really don't see them making it past the 20k mark. I rotate and balance them every oil change(5k) adn just had it on the alignment rack a week or so ago but the alignment was good. They aren't wearing uneven just wearing fast and starting to cup ever so slightly...wish KYB would hurry up with some shocks for this thing.

On my old '05 I killed two sets of REVO's in 45,000 miles. Turned it in on lease with bald tires.

My '08 is basically the same as I1tech describes, GY's wearing evenly but quickly. I'll buy new tires by summer, be lucky to get 24k out of them.

My take is just that the truck is too heavy for P-metric tires. People who have bought LT-rated tires report better tread life but the ride is harder.

Latest posts