ST of the week...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Interesting,

Another S/C'd ST with no feedback on how the truck runs or performs with the S/C on it....

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
No kidding, Maybe he could use his first posting on the site to let us know how it's doing and if there has been any problems.;)

Nice looking ST though, gotta give them that.

I don't usually speak for other people, but I'll go out on a limb (by contemplating the previous SC's here) and say it's probably a total and absolute waste of money, time and energy.

Hey, I have a 50% chance of being right here.:cool:

Just a question... is it worth super charging an automatic transmission? This being my first auto trans and ST, I wasn't sure of the performance difference. My other mode of transportation is a 91 5 speed Mazda Miata, she had a Jackson Racing Supercharger, but swithched to a Greedy Turbo. I liked the ability to "shift" to get the boost where I wanted it. How does that work in a A/T, do I just accelerate to a pre-programmed RPM then the supercharger kicks in? Or like the Jackson Racing, is it a smooth boost through out the powerband? Do I have to be goin a certain speed? Do I need to start a different post?:p

Kuya, this is a s/c not a turbo. power is available throughout the power band. Whether it's worth it or not all depends on who you talk to. there is only one kit for the trac and it's made by Explorer Express. Runs around $4200.00 and from a previous post a member was getting about 100 extra ponies according to his dyno results. That member ultimately got rid of the trac due to issues, but IMO I think he was asking too much from his s/c since he went to a smaller pulley. There are still many variables with the trac but there are various 4.0's running around with s/c's and doing well. This may require a bit more work than just dropping a s/c on you motor. I know of a 4.0 pushing 300 hp for over 10K miles but it's a home made kit.

personally...I would sink $4,000 dropping in a 4.6L V8 before I supercharged my trac.... but that's just me....I don't know if it can be done with 4k, but I imagine it could be....

Just the opposite Kuya.

Your going to increase numbers across the board and the charger will help out towing as well as all around performance.

As far as towing goes, The towing weight the St can handel is not based on motor HP.. It is on braking, suspension, and frame load. You can put 1000 HP in a fiat, but your not going to stop a 10K lb trailer with it...

Todd Z

If you're wanting to turn your trac into a racecar, don't bother with the supercharger...it won't help. If you're wanting a bit of extra passing power, or an occasional "that's awesome" when you open the hood...then go for it. Do NOT change the pulley under any circumstances. The 70-100 horsepower that it gives you will be all you get. The fuel system simply cannot handle any more than 6 pounds of boost. If you try to put a smaller pulley on it, you'll end up damaging your engine...trust me. I will admit that the trac ran very well with the s/c on it. The low-end torque was similar to what a V8 can offer. The power hits at about 2000 RPM and just keeps on pulling throughout the entire RPM range. It's a ton of fun, and it would allow you to outrun nearly every other 'trac on the road today...until the Adrenaline supercharged version comes out anyway. If it was me, and I had it to do over again, I'd have saved the $4000 and just used it as a down payment on something else. It's just a lot of hassle for not a lot of gain.

Latest posts