ST won't start after spark plug/wire change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Thomas 2

Reaction score
Changed the plugs and wires yesterday. I was able to start the truck and back it out of the garage, but it acted a little funny before turning over. There were a couple clicks (like a dead battery), but then it turned right over and ran fine. This morning I can't even start it. Same thing, get the clicking, and needles on the instrument cluster dance. The cd changer also starts moving. Any idea what may be causing this?

sounds like the battery just went south on you. If the battery has an internal short there is vitualy NO warning, just the sypmtoms you described. check the battery connections again to make sure their tight, a loose connection acts this way as well.

I have 12.2 volts across the terminals when its not running. I was just able to crank it, and it started on its own again, although it turned very slowly. I have 14.1 volts now that its running. One side note, the instrument cluster took ~15 seconds to respond after start-up. I'm at a loss for ideas.

Make sure the connections are tight and then check the voltage across the battery terminals when you are trying to start it...I bet it's dropping under 7 volts. FWIW if it drops under say 9.5 volts it is an indication that the battery is weak.

Pop the battery out and take it to Advance Auto or AutoZone to have it tested. Teh charging system sounds fine if you are putting out 14.4 with it running. I have seen batteries measure at 12v until you put a load on the system. The CCA may just be used up and gone on this one. If it is the original battery (From your name I assume it is an 05) it is probably getting close to time to replace it anyways. Most batteries are made by the same company (Johnson Controls) so if it is a Duralast (Zone) or Autocraft (Advance) it doesn't really matter. Get the one with the 3yr free replacement/5yr prorated warranty. I worked at Advance and saw a lot of batteries come in and out, and for the CCA difference and the warranty difference, it is only like $10.

I'm gonna run over to advance in a bit. It may be the original battery. It is a motorcraft. Certainly is acting like the battery. If I get it to start and run it for a few minutes, it'll crank right back over w/o issue when I turn it off. When I let it sit, it gives me problems. Weird it just happened to be the same time I changed the plugs.

I had autozone test it, it was the battery. Thanks for the help. Blows my mind it went exactly after the plug change. On to the lower ball joints and end links tomorrow!