Stalling Caught on Video! ;)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Well, I thought I'd give this a chance.

Today I bought the carb cleaner, sprayed the engine down for quite a while got in areas all over, didnt alter the idle at any time.

I put the zip ties on the PCV and the Brake booster line.

Then I thought i'd try to catch it on video, and I got it 2x!

The first is a little shakey, and when it says ive been drving for 1 min, thats after coming to a regular stop with no problems, been driving for about 45 mins. It always has to be warmed up to do this.

Heres the first link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPLQXGsMfaE

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fPLQXGsMfaE"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fPLQXGsMfaE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Here's the second -- Just a few stops before the one above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiDdm-rs7PI

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OiDdm-rs7PI"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OiDdm-rs7PI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Last edited by a moderator:
have you tried turning the throttle screw up to keep the throttle valve open some yet._Ron

My truck was going dead like that at stop lights. It turns out that the torque converter solenoid was crapping out. After I found this out, I had to have my transmission rebuilt because I went for so long letting it stall out before I had it checked out. I guess I just assumed I could ignore the problem and it would go away.:(

tom asked if you had a Chip, Not an Xcal, Which one ????

It too looks like the converter clutch his hanging up, I don't know if there is clip you can disconnect off the trans to unplug just the converter, or other things as well....

Maybe unlock the converter...

ALSO if you have an XCAL you can get a tune from the tuner that NEVER LOCKS the converter. Run that for a couple of days and see if it stalls...

Just some ideas....

ALSO when it is going to stall can you power brake it to keep it running ???

Does it happen if you only stay under 30MPH or over 45 ????

That can help rule in or out the converter..

Todd Z

Todd, yes its the XCal.

Hrmm... I knew it was the torque converter long ago! :) But of course the tranny place that stole my iPod said it was fine.

Anyways...

Power brake? like hit the brake and the gas at the same time? Ive never tried it really.

It seems I need to be going over 30-45 then it would happen at the next stop, sometimes.

With the torque converter NEVER locking, is that going to cause any other issues? Loss of power? Or jut poorer gas mileage?

What is one looking at for the new lockup solenoid? Is this something I can do myself?

did they at least buy you a new ipod???

don't run permanently with the converter unlocked, it's for testing purposes only :)

the solenoid is part of the pack that is bolted to the valve body. I believe they come off separately. You do have to remove the pan to change it...

The gas and brake thing would show if the converter is staying locked , the truck would lurch forward because the converter is not slipping like it should....

I do agree the non lock is for testing, but I had a tune like that and ran it for almost 3 months...

Todd Z

Daeron, no.

So I am pretty confident about somethign to do with the tranny/torque converter. It was actually my first suspicion long ago with the way it was acting.

My next concern is this. Long ago when I first had my tranny rebuild (1 yr and 3 months ago) I got it back and there was a squeeling noise from down under which only happens after she's warmed up. A year later the squeel seems to happen sooner and even louder, and now im stalling out at lights etc. I took it into the mechanic that did the tranny a couple times for both issues and he always never seemed to think it was anythign to do with the tranny.

Since I brought this up to him several times before a year was up, should I just tell him it is something that he had worked on from day 1, and now its leading to bigger problems (stalling) and I want it repaired?

He isnt a total jerk, but he is going to want to have some proof that it is what im talking about. I do have it on video now, so I can always show him this.

Does anything inside the torque converter spin at all times? Cuase this is im sure where the squeeling is coming from.

Man that is some goofy sh*t you've been through. I am now agreeing with the rest. If it was a minor vaccuum leak you would get a up and down RPM before stall, that thing is just plain stalling. I do have to agree, the ST sounds good though.;)

Well... Since the place that fixed my tranny is right behind where I work I just went over there.

I gave him the keys, I fabricated a story saying that it is the torque converter squeeling, and now its causing it to not disengage as im coming to a stop periodicly.

I said I knew there was something not right from the start and they kept sending me away. I said I need it fixed, no matter what it is, and I dont think it should be any cost to me as it only started happening after the tranny was rebuilt.

I'll let them prove me wrong.

Well... Since the place that fixed my tranny is right behind where I work I just went over there.

I gave him the keys, I fabricated a story saying that it is the torque converter squeeling, and now its causing it to not disengage as im coming to a stop periodicly.

I said I knew there was something not right from the start and they kept sending me away. I said I need it fixed, no matter what it is, and I dont think it should be any cost to me as it only started happening after the tranny was rebuilt.

I'll let them prove me wrong.

Well ????

Todd Z

Still waiting... I didnt get the truck back yesterday. I had to take a $20 cab ride to work. This is just costing me an arm an a leg...

I will definately let people know whats happening, its the least I could do.

I need those mods Todd, and if this gets fixed ill be on the phone!

My daughters mustang (93 w/2.3l and auto) did the same thing intermittently for a week or two right before the solenoid gave up. It was a fairly easy repair but costly since I went ahead and paid for the entire tranny to be overhauled.

hopefully, they will replace the solenoid and your problem will be cured.

gp

Shesh.

Well 2 days, they say they haven't had it stall once. I just dont know what the F to do. Im so very frusterated. He says he needs to have it stall while hooked to thier scanner. So he can see if the solenoid is acting up or its something else or whatever.

I just cant leave it there for 2 months. I dont even know how it cant stall on them and it stalls on me all the time after long drives. He said they drove it down the highway and all over the past 2 days with no stall at a stop.

I asked if the video would help and he said not really, cause he needs to see what is failing, if its the tranny, the solenoid, the whatever.

Argh... Kill me now!

Is there a spot to unplug the lockup mechanism or whatever? I heard there is on chryslers or something.

I tried to email Bama to change my tune, but he hasnt replied for over 2 days now.

This must be like loving someone that doesnt love you back (my ST)