Starter problem?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just whent out in my truck, and when I started it I could hear what sounded like a high speed electric fan sound coming from the engine compartment.

The noise continued while I drove, and when I turned the key to shut the engine off a few minutes later, I could still hear it. I turned the key back into the ignition position and the truck started back up without my completely turning the key. It did this for about another minute or two and I removed the key and put it back a few times and each time the engine would start again without me completely engaging the key.

After about 2 minuttes with the key out of the ignition it sputtered a couple of times and finally shut off.

I was able to start the truck agin and this time it was all normal.

It seemed as though the starter was always running.

Anyone have a problem similar to this?

I would say that your starter selonoid got stuck or the ignition key switch is defective and didn't unmake the "start" contact. I would assume it was the latter since a stuck selonoid would turn the starter even with the key out. That would be my guess.

Latest posts