steering problems.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ema sapp

Reaction score
When i make a turn from a standstill i feel a rumbling in my sterring wheel like i just went over a ridge of warning stripes (like the ones that you runover on a road that serves as a warning to slow down). It is worse when i turn to the right. The only time i feel this is when i turn from a stopped positionand it seems worse when i turn to the left.

It is the power steering pump or belt slipping. If the pump, the fix is to put a pump from the regular explorer.

To clarify, if you are ONLY feeling it when you are at the stops, then it is the two metal parts that act as the stops themselves. Half is on the spindle and the other half on the control arm. You need to put a heavy quality grease on them and the problem will be gone.

Unless I am not understanding what you are trying to say here...

TSB 05-17-15 ????

ISSUE:

Some 2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac and 2001-2003 Explorer Sport vehicles may exhibit a steering wheel shudder during low-speed turning maneuvers. This may be due to the interaction between the tire and the road surface, which is amplified through the steering system. The condition will vary according to ambient temperature, road surface friction, and steering wheel turning speed.

ACTION:

As design changes have taken place in the steering system, it is important to note the VEHICLE BUILD DATE and follow the appropriate steps outlined in the following Service Procedure. Perform a thorough evacuation of air from the power steering system after replacement/installation of parts.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE: BEFORE REPLACING ANY COMPONENT, BE SURE TO CLEAN ALL AREAS WHERE DIRT INGESTION COULD OCCUR. FAILURE TO DO SO MAY RESULT IN SYSTEM CONTAMINATION AND NOISE.

NOTE: THE STEERING SHUDDER WILL NOT BE CORRECTED UNLESS THE SYSTEM IS PURGED OF AIR WITH A VACUUM AT THE RESERVOIR. FILL AND PURGE THE P/S SYSTEM FOLLOWING THE PROCEDURES CALLED OUT IN THE ON-LINE WORKSHOP MANUAL, SECTION 211-00. FOLLOWING THE EVACUATION PROCEDURE WILL REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF TIME NEEDED TO CORRECT THE SHUDDER.

NOTE: PRIOR TO PERFORMING THIS PROCEDURE, PERFORM THE DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING DESCRIBED IN THE APPROPRIATE WORKSHOP MANUAL, SECTION 211-00 TO CONFIRM THAT ALL OTHER SYSTEM ISSUES HAVE BEEN IDENTIFIED AND RESOLVED.

VEHICLES BUILT AFTER NOVEMBER 7, 2001

Remove the power steering cooler from the steering gear.

Remove the return line from the power steering reservoir bottle.

Remove the return line from the steering gear.

Replace the current cooler (3D746) and two return lines (3A713 and 3A005) with a fin pack cooler assembly (5L2Z-3D746-A).

Fill and purge the P/S system following the procedures called out in the on-line Workshop Manual Section 211-00.