Steering Shutter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Hizzle

Reaction score
Well, I changed my spark plugs and now my steering shutters, more so when I turn the wheel right. I will mention that I turned the wheel without the engine running, while I changed my plugs. Does that hurt steering components? It's a nasty shake in the steering too. Not something subtle. I read some other posts about the TSB with the undersized p/s pump but I don't think this is the problem here. Anyone see this before?

I'm thinking of jacking it up in the front and turning the wheel (engine running) to see which component might be the culprit. That is if it shutters under no load.

Thanks in advance my wise friends.

Just drive it the problem will go away. The ST's and Explorers are notorious for doing this if you turn the whel with the engine off, air gets sucked into the system at the rack and pinion adn is a bitch to get out. You can always find an empty p[arking lot and jsut keep driving in circles one way and then the other and the proble will eventually go away

Thanks I1tech. Drove her around for 15 minutes and it got rid of the violent shutter in the steering wheel. Now there is just a little shimmy during low speed turns, either direction. I'll driver some more tomorrow and see what happens. Hopefully it doesn't turn into anything.

Drove the truck this morning. Steering is still a bit shaky/shuttery. It's not a light shutter either. Especially when the wheel is being turned to the right (clockwise) no matter at what speed. I just checked the fluid a few days ago, but I'll check again to make sure. I'm clueless on this one. It was good until I turned the wheel when the engine wasn't running. I think a mechanic would have a hay day with this one, removing and replacing parts until the shutter goes away. Any other clues out there?:blink:

Only thing I have found was to find a slick surface, Wet ground, or something like that.

Sit there with the truck running and slowly turn the truck lock to lock a good 10 - 15 times...

Then drive around the block to cool the fluid and repeate...

That air in there stinks, it is a pain to get out...

Todd Z

Sounds more to me that you may have a steering suction hose with a small leak. Changing plugs you might have disturb it. I have turned turn many a wheel on cars with rack and pinion, motor off. never had a problem , from it. Including the trac.

Latest posts