Stereo question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian T

Reaction score
Just joined the forum today and I look foward to getting to know everyone. I just bought a used 2001 Sport Trac with the Sony 6 disc player. I noticed it's kind off lacking on in the bass department. Behind the the drivers side rear seat is a sub and amp. I beleive it's a 7" sub and not sure of the amp Watts? Maybe someone knows. The sub is working but it just doesn't thump. Me being a new owner, I don't really know how good they are suppose to sound. Another quick qustion. Can I just pull the sub out without pulling the whole enclosure out? I tried, but I just don't want to pull too hard. Thanks, Brian

WELCOME and good luck with the truck !!!!

I don't know about removing just the speaker, but no matter what you do the stock setup is not that good any way....

Ford made a huge improvement with the Adrenalin from 04 and up, but there is a member here and a sponsor JDBOXES, makes some nice behind the seat boxes, and under the seat boxes that will help you out !!!!

Todd Z

Welcome and as Todd said, the stock sub won't give you the "bump" you're probably looking for. I have a JDBoxes 8" behind the seat sub and also another 8" under the seat. Driven by a 600W Kenwood amp. Gives me the bass I want for the ears.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I don't need a lot of bass. I'm getting out of that phase of my life. I do however want more than it has. I think I'll build or buy a box and a 10" for under the seat. Do you guys know if a guy did that would it be better to disconnect the factory sub? Or would it make that much difference? Thanks

Probably wouldn't make much difference. If you are going with a 10", you wouldn't even hear the factory one anyway. Take it out and sell on E-Bay to get some money back after putting the 10" in.:D;)

hey brian,

get rid of that peice of crap that came behind the seat, it barely makes a difference.

get an amp, sub and box off ebay...new items with warranty..but cheap.

do your research, i reccomend a 10" kicker comp sub with a kicker amp and a custom made box for under the rear passenger side seat. (all for around $400)

works well for me, email if you have any qiestions.

Hey guys. I was wondering if I am better off changing out the factory deck or factory speakers first? I'm not all that interested in putting a sub in right now because I'm not in any dire need for bass but I would like some better sound. Any recommendations for either? I'd appreciate your expertise.

oh btw I have the factory 1 disc deck and factory speakers...how difficult is it to get either out? Is it worth buying a manual for the truck? I've replaced speakers before and I know how much noise an improperly reinstalled door pannel can make. Any suggestions or know who might have some? Thanks guys. -Ricky

Latest posts