Still debating on purchasing the XCAL2..

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cory Richards

Reaction score
My main concern is whether this would be a good mod for someone who still has about 2 years/30,000 miles left on my warranty. I've never really concerned myself much with mods like an intake and exhaust in regards to the warranty (because I know I have the right to do these) but messing with the computer makes me a little nervous.

Secondly, I'm a hard working man so saying goodbye to $400 or so on a mod you can't see is hard for me. But I've done a ton of post searches on here and everyone swears by it, so I can probably get over that.

Next, I am wondering (if I decide to purchase it), what tunes would be best for me. It is my understanding that you get 2 tunes, the only one I can think that would be beneficial in my case is the 87 octane performance, or whatever it is called. Other than the 93 octane and towing tune, what else is available and/or most practical?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were you I would go for a 87 mileage one. and dont worry about your computer, you can reflash it to factory settings. I would like to get 3 tunes, 87 performance, 87 towing and 87 mileage

Dallas

if your going to do some sort of a PCM mod I suggest one like the XCAL2 simply because you can re-flash the PCM and Ford will not be able to tell you that you voided the coverage because blah blah blah. With a chip, you must pull the PCM, remove a cover, install the chip. Even if you remove the chip for service Ford can tell as the Cover has been removed from the PCM..

Just something to think about...

It's turned out to be the best upgrade that I've made. It's like having my ST run at its best, instead of just operating functional. Originally I got 2 tunes 1 for 87 octane & 1 for 93. Recently had it tuned a 3rd time, so I believe you get 3 + the stock tune, in the event you need to take it in for service.

If you can, Just do it! You won't regret it!

http://www.hypillauto.com

D-

I'm in the same boat Cory. Very much on the fence to get the xcal2. I'm leaning hard towards yes but i still have a little hesitation. :)

What has got me on the fence, while under warrranty is...what if it breaks down on the road and gets towed to the dealer..wont have time to reflash the PCM back to stock...

I've taken my ST back to the dealer w/o changing it back to stock, and both the service advisor and the tech said that as long as the problem is not caused by the mod its not a problem. Now, even if something happens out on the road you can still change it, your only turning the key to "on" and "off" not starting the vehicle. That's why its recommended that you disconnect the battery cable and fuel fuse before flashing in a program. Of course the SCT dealer you contact should be able to answer any concerns you have.

D-

Eddie, good point...I didn't think of that so that's another thing to take into consideration.

So as far as tunes..obviously by the names of them you can tell the primary benefit (i.e. 87 performance, 87 mileage) but what performance gains will I be looking at with the mileage tune and what MPG hit will I take with the performance tune?

Also the dealer has NO way of knowing your running a program in the computer. And for them to even try to say you do, they would need Court order to remove the computer in your truck, and send it out to be tested. Highly unlikely...

If you carry the xcal in your truck you can flash back to stock unless the pcm itself goes bad.

So happens I have another computer with the same code behind the back seats, and 1 10mm nut driver just in-case ;);)

Todd Z

I haven't notice any major changes in my mpg's, I'm still around 17 - 18 city on 93, haven't run the 87 in couple mos. I was looking for more performance, not better mpg's though.

D-

Many here have reported mpg gains from the performance tune, too. I suspect it's minor, but anything is something, especially with the performance benefits said to be had from the tune.

I'm considering ordering one very soon.