stock pinstripping

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It should be a tape stripe. If it's been on for a while (over a year or so) and the ST has been out in the elements there may be a slight "ghost' tape in the paint as a result of the sun fading the paint a bit. You can usually just wax it and its all good.

You can use a hair dryer and heat the tape as you peel it off. Any glue residue can be taken off the paint with GOO GONE, Citris Cleaner, and/or a mixture of water w/vineger.

Once the tape is off, if you have a ghost tape outline and/or used any cleaner to remove residue just give the paint a good waxing.

I peeled mine off the Ranger I had. Let the trac sit in the sun and get good and hot and start picking. Use goo-gone or a similar product to remove any residue.

I had the pinstripe removed on my monte carlo and then detailed twice and it still had the ghost stripe whenever it got dirty.

There was no stock pinstripping. Someone put it there. If it's tape, do what off trac said, if it's real paint like mine, that's a whole other story

Gary is correct. There is no factory pinstripe on Sport Tracs. If you have a pinstripe, it was either added by the dealer or the previous owner.

In either case, it may not be a tape stripe, it may be painted on. I know a local pinstriper that visites a number of dealers in the area and pinstripes about a dozen new vehicles and the dealer charges and additional $150 for the pinstripes.

If the stripes are tape, they will have a straight, blunt cut at the door gaps or may even be wrapped around the door edges. These stripes can be just pulled off but beware that some tape pinstripes will leave a visable groove in the paint after they have been on a few years.

If they are painted stripes, they will have slightly rounded edges to the stripe at teh door gaps where the brush was lifted. Most pinstripes are done with enamel paint and can be removed with enamal reducer. You should test the enamal reducer on an inconspicuous spot under the hood just to make sure it does not disolve your paint. It should not harm your paint since it is urythane based and enamal reducer will remove the enamal without touching your factory paint.

...Rich