stock shoes ahhhhhhhhhhh

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddy GreeneII

Reaction score
Noticed my tires seem to be wearing on the outside edges much more than the center. I mean both edges of each tire so the middle tread isnt wearing as much, is this normal? I only have about 4800 miles on the truck, Im gonna rotate them next weekend. Really want to dump these tires, I went to a goodyear shop and gave them the ol, I'm really not pleased bit, but they didnt offer the cool deal Ive heard a couple of others get. I dont want to pay full price for new tires right now when I still have so much left on em. thanks guys,

ted

Teddy,

Just for future reference - look at Bridgestone or BF Goodrich for your next set. Your next choice with Goodyear would be the AT/S (a cousin of the RT/S) or the MTR (I believe this is their mud tire). Arguably you can get a better tire for a minimal price increase through the other manufacturers.

Personally, I recommend BFG, although many have great success with Bridgestone's tires. I believe the ST of the Week has Bridgestones.

Tires that are wearing on the inside and outside only, but not in the center, are a symptom of low tire pressure. Raise your tire pressure, and check it at least once a month. I normally run 30-35 psi in my tires.

Thanks Adam, my preferance is BFG's if I have the money, if not the Bridgestones are next on the list. and Dreman, Ive thought that, its odd because the ford spec is 35f 33r. but the tires say max 44 i think. Ive been running the fronts at about 37 and the rears at 35, I check them at least once a month so Im to sure thats it. Now its in my head and its buggin!

Ford sets their recommended tire pressures for best ride/handling/mileage, or so they say. What tires do you have?

Sounds like you need to RAISE the pressure, not lower it. Pressure that is too low allows the outer edges of the tire to sit down and wear as opposed to increasing the pressure and raising the edges off the surface.

My Trac came with Michelin Cross Terrains. Run them at 35 psi all around. 28K miles and wear is even on all four with over 1/2 of new tread depth left. Best tire I've ever had on a vehicle and the most expensive too.

4x4 will cause the outer edge of the front tires to wear more.

It doesn't have to been in 4x4 to cause this wear.

Wear will increase if 4x4 engaged.

Rotation will help balance wear among all tires.

My stock Michelins did this also and I ran 30 in the front and 35 in the rear as advised in the door. I still got 62k miles out of them but the inner and outer edges were slick with some tread remaining in the middle.

My crappy OEM Goodyears haven't done this. I am on the second set at 103K miles with LOTS of tread left.

How do I know those Goodyears are crap?? The numerous posts on the site that tell me they suck! HAHAHAHA

I'm betting that svmtbman checks his tire pressure and rotates. Amazing what that can do for tread life.

Latest posts