Stopped the belt chirping finally

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Howell

Reaction score
I did the timing chains on our 2001 last year. When I did that I also replaced the idler, tensioner and serpentine belt with a Dayco Poly rib. It squealed a badly when the truck was cold and has been getting progressively worse. I bought another one looking for a cog style but was informed that Dayco doesn't make cog style belts any more, just poly rib. It too squealed when I put it on today. I brought it back and got a refund. I then tried the old school solid rib Gates made Napa belt. Nice and quiet, not a squeak.

I am not liking the poly rib belts.

I did the same not too long ago. I replaced my idler, tensioner, fan blade, and belt. I went with Dayco from Autozone. Had terrible squealing noise when cold starting and random times. Gates is the way to go. .5" shorter is recommended but not totally neccessary.

Actually I had a new gates .5" shorter. It still slipped on the PS pump, on acceleration. Switched to the shorter dayco, hasnt sliped since.

Latest posts