Stuck in 4x4 high

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 2004 4x4 Sport Trac. Got snow yesterday so I turned on 4x4 high and drove in the snow. Then once the roads started to clear up I turned it off. I hear clicking and the light on the dash works as expected, however the 4x4 didnt disengage until a mile or so and did so with a thud. Then this morning it snowed again, turned on 4x4 and it engaged no problem. Go to turn it off, and i hear a click, the light on the dash turns off, but it wont disengage. Tried the switch 3 or 4 times.

Any ideas? I looked on this site but most point ot the module assuming the clicking or lights dont work, but both work for me.

was yesterday the first time in awhile that you have engaged the 4x4?

it is recommended to engage 4x4 at east once every month to keep the internal parts oil up not letting the oil sit for too long.

it could be that it had been awhile and due to lack of lubrication of parts it was sticking.

if this issue continues, then more than likely it can be your 4x4 control module located on your passenger side kick panel.

our tracs are notorious for this issue happening a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
disconnect the battery or the 4x4 noduel ,,, Projects section. This will take it out of 4wd..

Todd Z

I had this problem a few months ago or so. I put it reverse then while I was at a slow roll put it in neutrel and it switched back over.

Latest posts