Stuck in go mode

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B M

Reaction score
Hi!!

Just went for a short drive to get some coffee for the wife. While driving along, noticed I was going a bit fast, so I lifted off the pedal, and the truck kept goin!!! Felt like it was in cruise control mode. I tapped the brakes, and nothing. The truck just maintained about 30mph. I held the brakes a bit, shifted to neutral, and coasted into a parking lot. I pressed the cruise control buttons and nothing. Shifted to park and revved the gas, and it stopped. Rpm's were around 3000ish. I disconnected the cruise control from under the hood. I have the new switch from Ford due to the recall. Drove home with no problems... Pedal wasn't stuck, I hve abt 108k miles.

Any ideas?? The ST is on the chopping block, with the wife. Need to figure it out!! Thanks guys

Remove the throttle body cover, inspect linkages, and lubricate both cables. Also clean the throttle body. GL

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the plan of attack. The only good thing is that NOBODY wants to borrow my truck!!!! LoL

No issues with floor mats? Also remove all empty cans and bottles. :grin:

LoL no, no empty bottles or small children stuck down there. Floor mat has plenty of clearance also. Went out pokin around, started it up and there is now a check engine light. Time to wait for some daylight.

Well upon further inspection... I noticed the cruise control cable attaching to the throttle was broken and dangling off. I suppose it's possible it could have gotten jammed up in there. Doesn't explain the check engine light though. Pcv is new, just cleaned the MAF. Throwin codes

Htd catalyst n/a

Evap system mon inc

P1000

P0171

Bank 1sys to lean pending

P0174

Bank 2 syst to lean

Non mil

P0174

Bank 2 system to lean confirmed

P0171

Bank 1syst to lean pending

The high idle and the lean codes go hand in hand...you have something creating a rather large vacuum leak. If you don't have any disconnected hoses then you may have an IAC that is sticking wide open.

I actually read that one... LoL. Looked around right away, noticed the cruise control cable that attaches to the throttle was broken off. I am thinking, either it got loose and jammed itself in there.. I secured it, and will find that somewhere to replace the broken part that attaches..

As for the check engine and possible vacuum leak...

I checked and cleaned up the IAC valve.. Seems to be working. Disconnected it, started the truck and the truck was idling rough. Hooked it back up and it steadied out. I know that's a very basic check, but that's my best troubleshooting... LoL. All other hoses seem fine. The pcv valve is a month old. I HAVE however noticed a large vacuum sound connecting to the recalled cruise control fix by ford..... There is a vacuum line attached to that ford fix. I disconnected it, closed it off, and the truck stalled. Can someone explain why there is a vacuum line connected to this ?

I actually read that one... LoL. Looked around right away, noticed the cruise control cable that attaches to the throttle was broken off. I am thinking, either it got loose and jammed itself in there.. I secured it, and will find that somewhere to replace the broken part that attaches..

As for the check engine and possible vacuum leak...

I checked and cleaned up the IAC valve.. Seems to be working. Disconnected it, started the truck and the truck was idling rough. Hooked it back up and it steadied out. I know that's a very basic check, but that's my best troubleshooting... LoL. All other hoses seem fine. The pcv valve is a month old. I HAVE however noticed a large vacuum sound connecting to the recalled cruise control fix by ford..... There is a vacuum line attached to that ford fix. I disconnected it, closed it off, and the truck stalled. Can someone explain why there is a vacuum line connected to this ?

There was an empty line above the driver side tire well, below the battery, not hooked to anything.. I guess the Ford Tech just decided to plug the vacuum line from the engine, into the plastic housing of the cruise control .....wtf..... I am wondering if this has caused any damage, other than pissin away gas. I hooked everything back up, seems to be running fine. The check engine light is still on. I'll clear it out and hope for the best!! LoL

Did Ford replace the cruise control cable under recall?

There is no vacuum associated with the cruise control at all so I don't know what vacuum line you are talking about there however underneath the battery there is the vapor management valve that is part of the emission system that is supposed to have vacuum going to it,

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah.. When I started looking at this, I knew there was no vacuuum line to the cruise control. I cant begin to imagine why they would have done this. Yes, the recall was repaired via Ford. I replaced the line to where I suspect it should be.. Haven't had time to go through the codes and reset. As for the stuck throttle? I think that was the cruise control connector. That's on order. Silly stuff!! Thanks for all the input though, it's greatly appreciated..

Latest posts