Stupid redundant window tint questions???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about the window tint % I have on my factory '07 Sport Trac?

A. What is the factory % tint for the front door windows?

B. What is the factory % tint for the rear door windows?

C. What is the factory % tint for the rear window?

D. How is tint calculated (ex: factory 50% + 20% added = 30%)?

Tint guy told me that he would do the front door windows at 35% because any darker would be illegal. He said the rear door windows are already darker than 35% and if I had the front door windows the same % as the factory rear door windows, I would be illegal.

What I'd like to do is:

1. Tint front door windows slightly to closely match rear door windows;

2. Leave the rear door windows alone or only tint them a little darker than they are now.

3. Tint rear window a little more darker than it is now.

I have a price for $95 to tint everything if that is what I want. Sound reasonable?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

window tint laws vary from state to state. check this site out.

http://www.tintlaws.com/

hope that helps. if the guy you originally asked wont do it any darker then legally allowed, go somewhere else. plenty of places will do it.

I wanted Ziebart to match the front tint with the back windows on my 08. I was told the same thing - illegal in Indiana to go that dark. I settled with the legal tint and I am happy with the added tint. I know other shops here in Fort Wane will go as deep as you want, but why risk that when you are pulled over!

Gavin,

As previously stated, window tint laws vary from state to state. The rear window and rear door glass is the factory tint and is legal in all states simply because you do not have to have windows in the back of your vehicle.

I think the rear doors and back window are 20% from the factory. The side glass has little or no tint from the facory, and most states that do allow tinted glass on the front doors will only allow down to 35%

You will probably find that the legally darkest you can tint the front windows will not come close to matching the rear glass...in most states.

You should only need to have the front door glass tinted and if your state allows 35% then have the guy tinit it as close as he can get to that number. If he makes a big deal about it, then just go to another tint shop that knows what they are doing and has no problem tinting the front glass to the legal limits, and will guarnatee his work and that the tint he uses will be legal in your state.

Here in Texas they check you front window tint with a special light meter when you go for your annual safety inspection. The roll the window halfway down and place the "U" shaped meter on the glass so that it shoots the beam of light through the glass to the receiver on the other side and it tells them the exact percentage of light transmitted. Some comes have similar meters to check for illegal window tint on the spot

...Rich

State laws vary regarding the type of tint you choose and how dark they are for safety reasons. A meter is placed on the window to determine the percentage of light going through and mine is about 14%...basically the same as the rear windows, and yeah, it's not legal according to state law.

The rear windows can be as dark as you want, it's the front windows that need to be within a certain percentage depending on your state's laws. Also, if you want to place a brow on the front wind sheild, in HI, the brow can be no larger than 4in. top to bottom.

It's up to you, but I say stay with the legal specs to give you peace of mind. ;)

Gavin, here is a link to tint laws by state.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had 33% put on front and rear side door windows and it looks pretty good. The rear windows are noticably darker than the fronts, but the fronts are not obnoxiously dark. I think I'll like it just fine.

I wanted it put on the rear window, but they talked me out of it-- said that even the 33% would make the rear window way too dark to see anything at night except the reflection of the dash guages and oncoming headlights from the front.

They also talked me out of putting any tint on the sunroof glass. I hate the sun shining on my bald head- but they said that is what the sliding visor is for.

Here is what I had installed:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts