Supercharged Trac at the Dyno Today

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baron.....Hey partner, what did you do to beef up the transmission?? I really like to know if anything was done, or did you leave is stock...

:unsure::unsure:

Drake

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing yet Drake. It's holding up just fine through some VERY heavy punishment. ;)

I think the transmission is a lot stronger than everyone gives 'em credit for.

What brand of SC comes with the kit? i have a SC in my Frontier I might wanna rip out and put into the trac I believe the SC in the frontier is a Eaton M62 I wonder if I could just buy the kit minus the eaton from EE and I wonder if I could use the smaller pulley I bought also in the trac.

It's also an Eaton M62. I'm not sure what compatibility issues you would run into. I'm sure Dave over at Explorer Express can help you.

I wouldn't recommend going below 2 inches with the M62 pulley. Any more than that and you are going to be spinning the supercharger WELL above it's max rated RPM. It comes with a 2.3 inch pulley from EE.

The pulley I bought for the Frontier added +3psi of boost and it is the "Auto Specialties Black Nitride Steel SC Blower Pulley" I bought it from truckperformance.com. I guess i will email dave about it.

baron_iv,

Just be careful not to "piss a piston off", as we use to say in the machine

shop were I worked, with the low a/f ratio, 'till Wayne puts the "tune" to it!

Also, a good dyno/shop should be able to detect trans slippage through the

ALDL/Diagnostic port on your factory computer, if they have the right equipment.

The factory computers on most new cars and trucks are designed to read the

parameters of the engine (rpm, tps, etc...) and see if they match where the

factory shift points are, or should be, on the trans, to detect slippage.

Although it may not set a code yet, a good obdII reader or dyno set up should

be able to read the computer more precisely, giving you an early lead on any

tranny issues before they become a major problem!:)

ions, the pulley you have might add 3 pounds of boost, it might take away three pounds of boost, or it could do nothing at all! The amount of boost really depends on the size of the crank pulley in relation to the supercharger pulley. For example, if you have a 5 inch crank pulley and a 2.5 inch supercharger pulley, the supercharger will be spinning 2x as fast as your engine RPM. You don't really want the M62 to spin over 14,000 rpm, that's the max according to Eaton. I mean you could spin it faster, but chances are that it's going to fail sooner or later. The stock crank pulley on the sport trac is 6 inches. If you put on a 2 inch pulley, that means the supercharger is spinning 3x as fast as the engine...so at 5200rpm, which is the trac's top rpm (for me anyway), you're spinning at 15,600 rpm.

In case anyone cares about an update. I got Doug from bamachips to send me a new tune, which will fix my lean condition. He's adding 20% more fuel to the mix...which should put me right down about 11.0-11.4 at WOT. Hopefully I'll get a bit of horsepower from that too. Doug was quite helpful and curteous when I told him of my problem. He's sending me the cable I need to plug into my laptop and the new tune via email, so I can update it myself.

So the truck is going BACK on the Dyno on Saturday for another run to make sure the a/f ratio is correct. I'll have to remember to take my ear plugs this time so that the supercharger won't burst my ear drums. ;)

For those of you who like that whine that a supercharger makes, you absolutely need to check out the EE system. It's not like one of the stock ford or gm systems, where all the whine has been removed. This thing is L O U D !!! When I pass someone, it sounds a LOT like a siren. So far, nobody has pulled over though. haha

I'll put the results of the new dyno pull here in this post on Saturday when I get back home.

Until then, if there's anyone else out there who has any questions, please feel free to contact me or ask your question here. :)

-Scott

Scott,

I am glad you where able to get in touch with Doug, I tried calling him several times after getting my MAF from him for new tunes...He sent me one and it just wasn't right, the motor pinged and the tranny shifted to harsh.... I notified him of this , he said he would get back to me and never did... I also had 3 people looking for the same MAF I had and where willing to purchase from doug... I went to Wayne for the corrections, because It seemed to me that Doug did not want to support his products...

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug actually got back to me within an hour of my original email, and I had a new tune in my email box within another hour. I am pretty impressed by his service last night. I just hope this tune is right. He does seem to know what he's talking about and he's flown to california several times to work with EE and the supercharger, so he is probably the foremost tuner for the supercharged tracs. However, wayne is probably better when it comes to non-supercharged tracs. The customer service wayne provides is amazing. I've spoken with him numerous times via email. He's always very prompt and precise with his replies and there's no doubt in my mind that he knows what he's doing.

I am glad to someone with a SC. It was kinda like the elusive Yetti for a while. I believe that I will wait for the '07 SVT to come out. That is one sweet looking machine!

BTW - DuncTrac Lives!!

Dunc

When the 07 SVT comes out, my supercharged trac is GONE! My trac is pretty cool, but the SVT is kickass.

Latest posts