Supercharged Trac at the Dyno Today

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott r

Reaction score
Today was the big dyno day. I don't have a scanner that works to scan in the pictures, but the numbers that the trac is putting to the ground are pretty impressive.

278 horsepower

308 ft/lb of torque.

Now, before you go jumping to any conclusions about how that's not much power...consider that the 210 horsepower rating that a new trac has is FLYWHEEL horsepower. Not actually how much goes through the tires and onto the road. I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that a stock trac wouldn't get anything over 150 horses in a dyno and no more than 175 ft/lb of torque. So, as you can see the supercharger makes a pretty substantial improvement.

We also measured my a/f ratio and I am running EXTREMELY lean, so once I get in touch with wayne, so we can richen that up a bit, I should be over 300 horses to the ground and 330 ft/lb of torque. Now we're talking MORE horsepower than a late 90s or early 2000s Trans Am/Camaro by about 40-50 horsepower. For those of you who have ridden in one of those, you know that they're pretty impressive right from the factory, and they're only about 300-500 pounds lighter than our tracs.

Wayne didn't do the original tune, it was done by BamaChips, who does all the tuning for EE.

300 horses should put me right around 13.7 in the quarter mile, so I still have some work to do to get my trac down into the mid 12s, which is my ultimate goal.

For anyone who wants/needs more stats, my air/fuel ratio was 13.8-15.2, which is waaaay too high, it should be down around 11-11.5. I need to dump quite a bit more fuel into the cylinders to get more power. So the supercharger is doing its job by forcing a ton of air down there. The absolute barometric pressure of the test was 29.43 in/Hg. Temperature was 62.1F. My gear ratio was 47.85 RPM/MPH and the correction factor was 0.98 SAE.

With the supercharger, the horsepower peaked out around 3600rpm and remained steady to about 5200rpm, then it dropped off a bit and stopped at the redline of 5500 rpm. Even at 2700 rpm the truck was producing over 200 horsepower. The line goes up from about 210 hp at 2700 rpm with a nice, steady increase all the way up to 3600 rpm. Which confirms what I've been saying all along, the powerband is GREAT at highway speeds and passing a car will pin you to your seat. The torque curve follows the horsepower curve almost perfectly. The air fuel line started in the low 15s, then drops down to about 13.8 at 4400rpm, then begins to rise again, back to around 15.1 or 15.2 at 5400 rpm.

If you have any questions about this (I realize it's a bit technical, and most of it can be ignored completely), I'd be happy to answer 'em. I'm REALLY looking forward to getting the boost cooler put on, as well as a new tune. Maybe I can hit 350 hp? mwa ha ha ha! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
NICE! Yeah now get rid of that muffler, and the pre cats, get some headers, and you should be set, lol.

There are quite a few upcoming mods, so I think we may see 400 horses before it's all said and done. ;)

Adam, it's fast alright. It's kinda difficult to for me to put into words just how fast it really is. When you step on the gas, you are GONE. The other day I was fooling around outside of town, I brake torqued it a little bit, then floored it. The two black marks were some of the darkest I've seen in a while, and they were over 75 feet long. By the time I got done, I couldn't even see my brother's F250 behind me due to all the smoke. I let off the brake in 2nd gear, so pretty much the whole thing was a 2nd gear burnout. This is on truck tires too. Needless to say, tires are going to need to be upgraded soon as well. haha

I also never really realized how LOUD that supercharger was! I physcially had to cover my ears because the whining was so loud. It HURT my ears after a point...and I listen to a lot of heavy metal, so I can stand a LOT of noise.

It was fun though. hehe

A stock ST will hit about 170 HP. Here are some results from the dyno with differents mods.

There's a lot of info on that sheet! It's also very SMALL! haha

If you like, I can add my numbers to that and send it back to you Rob.

baron,

excellent !!!

i drove a stock 2000 camaro ss and ran a 13.4, so the estimated numbers sound pretty acurate. good luck and i would love to see you run it at the track

Great numbers! Where did you buy the SC from? Just curious. I'll probably getting rid of the trac next year when we start Conference and SCCA racing. Trac can't pull the enclosed trailer with the car and all the extras that go to the race track.

Thanks,

SST

baron,

That is not my sheet. It was Ron Brezinas. I dont know that you have been around long enough to remember but Ron was an enthusiast that loved his trac. Unfortunately we lost Ron too early to Lou Gehrig's Disease.

SeattleSportTrac, Larry answered your question, but in case you didn't see that, I got the supercharger from ExplorerExpress. They sell a complete kit, it comes with fuel pump, injectors, supercharger, all wiring/hoses/belts that it requires and a GREAT instruction manual. It's a bit more than 20 pages and there are images along the way that show you what you're doing. If you feel that you can remove your own intake, you can probably install it yourself. It's not cheap, but if you love your trac, but hate the power, then the supercharger is a no-brainer. I'll put a link at the end of this post for the EE supercharger.

Larry, you should ride in it now that I've changed the pulley! It was fast before, but I never got over .6G when taking off. My G-Force meter has gone all the way up to .89G with this new pulley, which is probably a bit more than the G-Forces you feel when you take a corner really hard with your trac. Mine would be rolling over if I tried to reach a lateral G force of .89. haha

Jason W., I haven't done anything to the transmission yet. However, I haven't had a bit of trouble with it so far <knock on wood>. It seems to be handling the extra power quite well. I haven't experienced any slipping or anything. I think these transmissions are stronger than people give them credit for. ;)

On the desktop dyno

At a weight of 5100 my 4x4 trac weight.

Vehicle Weight

In Pounds

Rear Wheel

Horsepower

Estimated

E.T (sec.)

Trap Speed

in MPH

Not too bad... I am sure the dyno is not what the real world should be....

Cool deal...

Todd Z

The kit was $4056 including shipping to my via UPS in two HUGE boxes. The fun factor has gone up on the trac DRAMATICALLY. When the boost hits, it goes from sport trac to SUPER TRAC!

It's pricey, but there's no way to make this much horsepower otherwise.

I considered a turbo setup, STS makes one. With a turbo, you don't have a lot of low-end torque, and that, to me, is very important in a truck.

278 "SO FAR". ;)

350 is my more realistic goal, 400 is my ultimate goal. For that, I'm going to have to actually get INSIDE the engine/transmission/rear end and beef things up a little bit, but I think it'll be worth it to have the fastest street-legal sport trac in the world. hehe

I guess you're opposed to nitrous, as that would probably get you to the 350 goal for about another $500, lol. Some slicks, and dump as much weight as you can. My 4x2 weighs 4320lbs with driver (250lbs). Can't wait to see what else you do.

I'm most certainly NOT opposed to nitrous! haha

I don't think I'm going to go with drag slicks though, I am a bit opposed to them. This thing is already pretty squirely (sp?) in the rain, slicks would make it unbearable!! However, new tires/wheels are on my list.

I don't think they're going to come down in price much tony, unfortunately. I really don't think EE can make a LOT of profit considering the amount of stuff that comes in the kit. You would be hard pressed to find all of the parts separately for a much cheaper price. It's a VERY thorough kit. It comes with absolutely everything you need to install/run the supercharger.

If you want performance, there are other ways you can go...headers, programmer, pulleys (which I don't recommend), different gearing in rear end, intake enhancements, exhaust replacement and a host of other things. All of those things COMBINED won't get you as much horsepower as the supercharger.

If you want my opinion about the next best thing, go for the SCT-Xcalibrator. There are plenty of reasons to get one of those, power is only a minor part of that. ;)

Latest posts