Supercharger Questions!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Well, I am going to keep going with my trac... Im purchasing whatever mods from Toddz for the engine (all of them eventually) and now I am seriously looking at getting the supercharger really soon... possibly a month or so.

I have questions however!

1. Can I install this myself?

2. Is there a RELIABLE tune for the supercharger and mods that I would have (Exhaust, RT Cat, RT Y-Pipe, C&L MAF, MAC Intake)

3. Is this something that constantly screws up and going to be more of a nightmare than anything else?

4. Is EE the only place to purchase this sucker?

Thanks everyone!

1) Yes, if your knowledge goes to intake manifolds, gaskets, re routing lines, dealing with possible snapped bolts, dealing with plastic parts, stuff like that. And you can manage your time to install properly..

2) Yes Doug has the basic tunes, you should have it dyno tuned any way after the install, or at least data logged to check a/f and stuff.

3) Yes the owner wants more and adds pulleys, different fuel system, Stuff like that and the ST just cant Handel it, SO DON'T GO FURTHER than the stock kit.

4) Yes...

Todd Z

The new EE kits have a bypass circuit that during normal driving is open, thus no boost...

Daily driving should not be an issue any longer..

Todd Z

So it only kicks in when I gun it:?...

For $5000 or so CAD I really hope it wont be much of a pain in the arse at all...

Yes it kicks in while gunning it...

The $$$ has also kept me away from it.... Thats the biggest factor for me right now..

Todd Z

Seems like it would be more work but less money with more reliability to put a 5.0 in it. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but I don't think it would cost as much as the $4000(US) for the supercharger if you put a 5.0 and trans. in it. And there wouldn't be any of the reliability issues the supercharger seems to bring.

the 4.6 or the 5.0 will fit. seen them both in rangers before.

LoL.. lets do a group buy on the S/C.. anyone else down for it?

a 4.6 in a ranger is difficult , A 5.0 is no problem.

The old rule of "get a motor from a vehicle as new or newer than your truck" usually applies because of emmissions reasons. The 3.8L V8 from a T-Bird or Lincoln LS would be the rage. That's more hp than a 4.6 non-Dohc or 3 valve motot plus it's all aluminum block. If you ever get a chance, take a look under the hood of a T-Bird. If it fits in a T-Bird it should fit anywhere. I don't know anyone thats tried it, but the thought is exciting. Another is the tranny. Some come with the automatic that can go to full manual mode by moving the stick to the right.

One thing to keep in mind if you are seriously gonna boost it, don't spend money on stuff that won't cross over with a supercharger. Underdrive pulleys and cold air intakes are a good example.

I am going to go get some pricing locally on installing the 4.6L Ford engine in my ST... I think after the supercharger i'm still going to want additional HP and after the SC there isnt much else i'll be able to do. I want the engine compartment to LOOK stock, I dont want it to look like i had to stuff peices in there just for the sake of having a larger engine... I also want to do any and all performace mods to the new engine that I can ;)

Ultimately I want 500HP out of it... Call me crazy, but i'll do whatever it takes to get there!

I could use peoples help big time, such as the crate engine that im looking for that will possibly fit... Anyone have the specs? 2002-2004 Ford 4.6L 4V Crate Engine sound right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the 4.6 is physically wider than the 5.0 (I don't care what the actual size is, that's what Ford calls it). I'm almost positive the 5.0 will fit with off-the-shelf hardware. The 4.6 might require a bit of fabrication, and a little cutting and refitting things to make it fit. After all, the 5.0 was available in the same Explorers that the original Sport Trac was developed from, so the dimensions should be the same.

I think a guy with a Ranger recently stuffed a 4.6 in there, but needed like a 3" lift, and quite a few frame and firewall mods.

Yeah, what i've been reading is the best fit is the 302. I also read that the Boss 302 has been put back into production early this year... Wonder if this would fit.

Im going to do some poking around town and see what this might cost.