Support unemployment

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my Jap car.

I (or more precisely, my American company) sell all kinds of part to Japanese automakers who assemble in the US. They pay my salary. I LOVE 'EM.

Rocks

Actually the biggest problem is the imbalanced trade policy between the US and Japan. This could be corrected by congress if they would get of their ass.

Stylin' the automakers know better than to do the shaming. It seems to be the guys like the one in the pic are the ones doing the shaming. Clearly that's what this person is doing above.

My point, instead of trying to tell people they are wrong for buying foreign cars, why not instead give them compelling reasons to buy American? What could be LESS American than TELLING someone what to buy?

TJR

BK asked:

TJR, do you ascertain that the underachievers are the reason why American cars are not selling?

No, I didn't assert that underachievers are the reason American cars are not selling.

I was trying to say that protectionism is the ploy of underachievers; conversely meaning that those that achieve greatness have no need to protect themselves and their markets artificially.

TJR

TJR, I will take your point one step further. It is the dealers selling the cars that are also doing the shaming. I was in business in St. Louis for a total of a month earlier this year. I saw tow commercials on TV while in the hotel room specifically saying buy these American cars. Their point was that we (Americans) now have better quality and performance, so why send your dollars abroad. They were low budget commercials with and old guy in a cheap suit doing the talking.

The commercials were quite laughable. I can't imagine, thought I know better, that sales are that bad that you have to stoop to the buy American tag line to sell cars. Oh well. Unfortunately, there is no right or wrong answer to that equation because the answer is called Capitalism.

Americans are too greedy and won't work for a globally-competitive wage.

That is exactly right. We know how the prices of our houses and food are right in line with those in other countries. You know, like those people that do not have a house or food.

Tom

I must make another comment in suppport of TJR's earlier "protection for under-achievers" statement. I remember when I worked for a company that managed the returnable container program for Chrylser before and after the merger. When the UAW contract was coming up a couple of years later, I remember seeing one (insert your favorite word for a person of lessor intellect) on the news saying that he wanted to see his job protected for his son, his son's son, and his son's grandson. Talk about under-achieving. Your job is basically given to you as a legacy...you have to do nothing but have a pulse and you come out of the gates making at least $40 an hour. That's BS. I realize however, that's the way their world works. However, that world is now crashing down around them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I look at it from a different angle. Under achievers are those too lazy to work hard for a living, so instead they go to school to get an "education" on how to avoid work.

If anyone thinks guys like my father, a Ford Retiree and a proud UAW member, is an "under-achiever" they have NO idea what it is to actually work for a living.

They spent too much time behind a desk complaining about the water cooler and the AC not cooling the office evenly.

I guess I could take the easy route and sit in a classroom and learn how to avoid work. Then I can make fun of all those hard working men and women that are being "overpaid" to bust their knuckles.

Tom

Tom,

Why do you always have to look at things from a "blue-collar" perspective? Getting an education is not a way to "get out of work". People can work just as hard and as many hours at a white-collar or blue-collar job. An under-acheiver is a person that has a talent, whether it is laying brick or running a Fortune 500 company, and then fails because a lack of effort.

The World is filled with these people, and unfortunately a big portion of them are attracted to union companies, since they know that after they get in, it is hard to get rid of them because the union protects them. No one said that underacheivers have to be dumb.

Nelson,

Why must every "white copllar worker" see everything from a white collar workers perspective?

That is no different than the way I am looking at it.

I feel it is offensive to say that I took the easy way out by busting my ass to earn a living for myself and my family.

There are MANY under-achievers that sit behind a dest with their noses up their boss's butt. They are no different.

I worked with a guy that was a lazy bumb that was like that. He got more Per Diem than I got. He got more per hour than I got. He also was a career military guy.

I could easily say all career military people are like that, but I know that is not true.

Unfortunatly, many college graduates here think they are superior than blue collar workers are. They think they work harder, have more responsibility, and get paid properly for what they do and blue collar workers are slackers, not improtant to a business, and are overpaid.

That is just not the case.

I busted my ass to be where I am today. I have a career that can get me a job ANYWHERE in the world at ANYTIME I want.

How many people here can HONESTLY say the same thing?

Tom

will not work for a company or business for $5.00 an hour with no benefits while the owners of said company are on their Yachts sitting off the beach somewhere lighting

their Cuban cigars with $100 bills, their Maids and Servants and On-Board Physicians

at their beckon call!

There are not jobs Americans won't do but there are wages that Americans won't work for.

Please all,

Note that when I said "under achievers" I never said lazy, or stupid or anything like that.

Someone who seeks protection from competition rather than excel to beat the competition is BY DEFINITION under-achieving.

TJR

The problem today is that everyone wants to be middle class. People want to be making big money for a job that takes no skill and no education. Sorry, democracy just doesn't work that way.

re: Support unemployment by TomT,5/21/2007 08:53 CT

The problem today is that everyone wants to be middle class. People want to be making big money for a job that takes no skill and no education. Sorry, democracy just doesn't work that way.

Thanks Tom, this is exactly my point when I said that Americans are too greedy and won't work for a globally-competitive wage. If we wanted to be competitive with the rest of the world on wages, we would have to lower our standard of living a bunch, both blue-collar and white-collar workers.

There are no poor people in the US. Even poor people have one or more cars, cable or satellite TV, air conditioning, cell phones, expensive clothes, jewelry, CDs, I-Pods, Air Jordans, condos, eat out all the time, health insurance, etc. The working people have to pay for all the poor people to have all these things, which causes prices to rise, and the need for higher wages for working people.

There are six million people on Welfare right now, and I can't work any harder to pay taxes to support them. Something is going to have to give. The middle class needs to revolt and tell the non-working people that they aren't going to take their leeching anymore.

Of course, the middle class needs to do something about the overpaid CEOs and corrupt politicians, but it would make a bigger difference to first get the parasitic non-workers off the dole.

Six Million is 2% of 300 Million (The US population). Two percent isn't bad. I know a family in that 2%. They live like my family did in the 60/70s...paycheck to paycheck, and the youngest kid wears hand-me-downs from the older ones. They don't eat out, and the grandmother gives them food and money at least once a month so the babies can eat beans and occasionally some meat. This young mother of four makes too much at her job at Dell to qualify for food stamps.

Not everyone in the US is rich, but if the cost of living was the same as in Poland, they could be a lot better off. Of course, then the wages would only be $330 a month too, so It still would be hard to live the rich lifestyle.

My house is oin the wealthiest part of the city I live in. Even with that, it has no dryer hookup or Air Conditioning. People in Poland can't afford the electricity (even the rich ones). It is 82 degrees and hot in my house, so I open the windows like we all did prior to the 70's. It isn't so tough. You get used to it. We are definitely spoiled in the US.

My Post Office person that drops off everyday is one lazy SOB. He had the nerve to ask me for a bag to put the items in. I said no, but maybe just once you could remember to bring some empty bins...that would be nice.

Someone who seeks protection from competition rather than excel to beat the competition is BY DEFINITION under-achieving.

As long as the competition is playing by the same rules.

Lets say I was born with $999,999.00 given to me and you were born with $1.00 given to you. We had a contest who gould become a millionaire first. If I worked one day and earned $1.00, would that make me successful and you an underachiever because you could not beat me with hard work?

What if my company was given money from my government to develop a new widget because the government said I had to make it. My customers had no choice on what widget they could buy.

Your customers for years purchased NOTHING but really large widgets for years.

One day, I decide to sell my widgets in your market. The consumers decide to buy my widgets because they are new. You try to build a different widget, but because the R&D on my widgets were paid for by my government, you spend years trying to build a widget to compete with mine.

Does that make me more successsful than you are?

Does that make you an underachiever?

Tom

Yeah, Caymen, I'm all for a more level playing field and competition under the same rules, but that's NOT what the image above that started all this was about. It was about protecting jobs by shaming people to buy American.

If this were about unfair trade, then the guy should have said that on his pickup.

I submit that even the unlevel playing field is as it is because people are buying what they want.

Crying about it and shaming people to buy things they don't want is not the answer.

The answer is to produce stuff people want.

TJR

TJR,

What the competition is doing is not playing by the same rules and touting themselves as "American" for America.

Tom