surging

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Aloha guys, this past week or so when I back out of the carport, the engine surges just a bit. By the time that I get to the road, it seems ok. Does this seem to be fuel-related or maybe injectors? As I've posted before, most of my drives are less than a mile to church or the store. Once a week I'll drive to the mall 5. miles but not very fast. I really want to run it up the mountain just to give it some exercise but never get that round to it. What do you folks think, run it faster or put some injector cleaner in?
thanks and God bless Ed

Id give it a bottle of injector cleaner & fillup with premium gas. Then a healthy run at 55mph+ for 20min+ if possible. See if that helps before trying other more expensive things.

I agree with Dillar, my f 150 was doing same as i never drove it, i filled it with good gas and took my throttle body off and cleaned it and drove it and it was fine, it felt like it was dying just starting out but ran fine at higher speed.

Thanks guys, I will give it a go. 'been wanting to get it out for a run for some time now.
Ed

Yep, also can clean the the MassAirFlow\MAF Sensor;
use MAF\ElectricalContact SprayCleaner or just rubbing alcohol,
not Carb\Brake Cleaner.

Last edited:
Great, Yesterday I bought some Lucas injector cleaner. Soon I'll buy some gas and go for a run. The VA usually has a commemoration and dinner on the 11th. Maybe I'll run up to Volcano National Park and join them.
thanks

Do let us know if things are improved or not.

Well....... after I bought the injector cleaner, the thing has not surged at all!!! Darn Ford. I will still put it in the tank and go for a ride. Maybe even clean the mass flow sensor again. I don't know where the IAC is.
more later Ed

IdleAirControl/IAC Valve for the V6~4.0L~SOHC is
directly behind ThrottleBody, on top of IntakeManifold throat.
Click here for more info on the IACValve for the V6~4.0L~SOHC.
2001.Ford.ExST_Engi.AirN_IACV_Ford.1L5e-9f715-ab_PicA.GIF

Last edited:
I added Lucas injector cleaner and went for a drive up the mountain and back. Three morning starts and no surges so far.
I'll get to the IAC soon. Ed

Another thought. Look inside the throttle body (the IAC is attached to the top of it) and look at the input from the EGR valve. It's on the right side of the throttle body as you are looking into the throttle body. Might need a dentist mirror to look in the EGR valve input as it is curved into the throat of the throttle body. Anyway, mine was encrusted with a lot of carbon buildup that would cause intermittent rough idling (almost stalling). I cleared it out and it has been running smooth ever since. Good Luck.