Suspension Mods saved me this morning in ATL

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff C

Reaction score
Well, if it weren't for my brakes, end links, sway bar, and shocks, I believe I'd be typing this from a hospital bed, or at least without my Sport Trac. Going about 60 on 285 this morning (very slow since it was raining hard) what looked like a new Jeep Cherokee flew past me, likely at 80+ mph and changed lanes into mine. His rear end fishtailed, and he over corrected. He started spinning and spun right into the center divider wall on his passenger side (so he's now facing backwards) kept spinning and completed 3 1/2 rolls before coming to rest on its side.

As soon as I saw the fishtail I started getting on the brakes. I had to quickly change lanes to avoid hitting him as he swerved back in front of me and bounced off the wall. I believe without the sway bar, shocks, brakes, etc, I would have hit him, hard. So thanks to the people on this site for the knowledge about these mods, and I would definitely recommend them to anyone.

And for those wondering, I pulled over, called 911 and reported it, saw people getting out of their cars behind me (I had pulled over about 100ft down the road) and saw people climbing out of the Jeep, so I checked out my truck (I had several pieces of plastic debris fly up and hit my windshield) and drove to the next exit and pulled off. I could hear the sirens as I was on the phone with Todd Z. I am truly grateful that nothing happened and that it was really only a one car accident (of which I saw many on my way home). I did manage to snap a pic out of the back window and will get it up when I get it off my camera.

Pic of the Jeep on its side:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you (and your ST) were not hurt.

Good thing you made it past the crap... I'd hate to be one of the poor souls stuck behind in that mess. ;)

I hate it when someone blasts by me like that in poor conditions and i just cant wait to pass them a few miles down the road while theyre parked on their roof.

Glad you are ok. There are a lot of careless drivers out there. I have the same suspension mods on my ST, glad to hear yours came in handy.

Glad you are OK...

Basically almost the same thing has happened to me on I-95 in FL.

with the swaybar and shocks it definately helped me control the ST...

rob

Enough can not be said about getting rid of the OEM shocks and putting on an aftermarket sway bar...

It is like a different truck...

Glad your ok,,,

Glad u made it out okay JeffC. I think my suspension mods have saved me at least once. Errant drivers and wet roads...

good news that you are ok.

nothing beats a tuff guy driving way to fast in crappy conditions and you see him down the road on his side :)

Jeff,

yes glad your ok man, You sounded a little shaken on the phone, But it is good you pulled over and calmed down before driving...

Also I am sure some driver talent came into play in your reactions, Some people would just have hit the brakes and lost control and hit the jeep...

CHET !!!!!!

How are you man ?????

Todd Z

My gosh Jeff! Glad you are ok!

i have to laugh though...you called 911 then on the phone with ToddZ lmao! site owner to the rescue! LOL

again, sooo glad you were not seriously hurt!

Glad that you were only an "intimate observer" and not a participant in the crash.

For anyone who is still riding on stock shocks and sway bars, you really should upgrade. Take note of the body roll on curves and turns at normal speed and imagine how the truck would react in a sudden evasive maneuver. Now add in the bounce of the shocks in a sudden brake/release/veer, and it is very easy to imagine your Sport Track on its side. Combining the roll and the bounce, if your center of gravity gets outside of the "box" formed by your four tires, you go over.

I replaced the shocks and swaybars in a few hours in my driveway, and it truly is like driving a different vehicle. A much safer one.

Amazing to me how stupidly people drive in tough conditions. We had that weather most of the way home from FL to GA yesterday. To see big vehicles like SUVs and full size pickups flying up the road at 75 mph or better, in driving rain...you know some of them won't get home.

Jeff, glad you made it safe.

Amazing to me how stupidly people drive in tough conditions. We had that weather most of the way home from FL to GA yesterday. To see big vehicles like SUVs and full size pickups flying up the road at 75 mph or better, in driving rain...you know some of them won't get home.

In my snowy travels last night, I was riding across a 35 MPH bridge at about 30. I had a guy pass me doing at least 40, who then proceeded to run the red light that sits at the terminus of the bridge (slowed, checked cross-traffic, then went through).

Idiots are everywhere, unfortunately.

looks like you were near me when that happened, I live at the top of the Perimeter where it intersects with 400. I have driven all over the world, but atlanta takes the prize for bad drivers. Glad you were not injured by someone else's bad driving.

JEFF, glad you made it alright. Driver's skill's do make a difference, along with the vehicle. Also glad that you were one of the few that slowed and pulled a phone._Ron