Suspension/ Poor handling

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 62236

Reaction score
Hey all,

So my 02 ST is not so tight anymore. But with new struts last year, I didn't think it would feel and handle as poor as its been. It feels loose, squeaks, handles poorly over bumpy patches on the road and at times almost bounces so much the rear end starts to come around :boohoo: So I'm wondering if this is normal, or besides the struts, what could it be ? Last time it was in the shop, they advised it looked ok to them. Could the struts be crap ? Factory ford struts is what I put back on them.

Thank you in advance.

Justin,

Since you have recently replaced your shocks, i would check your Front Anti Sway bar links, and your rear ones for play. (Replace as needed) Also, if you havent upgraded the rear anti sway bar, it provides a HUGE difference in how the Trac handles.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
First Dave is correct in that the ST does not use struts, but uses shock absorbers. I recommend Monroe Reflex or Rancho RSX. The front (with MOOG Problem Solver) & rear end links DO need to be replaced. Check your bushings as well. Replace the rear sway bar with the on from Explorer Express or ADDCO.

The problem is using the factory shocks. They are crap. Got rid of mine at 1500miles. Went with rancho rsx. Monroe reflex same shock, less $$$.

In general, add an aftermarket rear stabilizer and replace the OEM shocks and you will SWEAR you have a new vehicle when it comes to the Trac

I replaced the OEM Ford shocks with Bilsteins at about 50K miles. Much better ride. Less side-to-side slop, better bounce control and feels more stable, even at 95K miles now.