sway bars

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j Schmidty

Reaction score
If I wanted to get some suspension upgrades, and only have 300 to play with, and I want to tow a small travel trailer, what so you all recommend for a fully stock 2001 sport trac. It is the fully loaded one I believe( minus the sunroof and leather). If any body knows of the cheapest place to get the parts, that would help too. Thanks.

I just replaced the shocks on mine a couple of months ago. I noticed it didn't sway as much as before. As for which brand that is a topic brought up around here quite often and depends on personal preference. I went with Rancho RSX's and got them off Explorer Express (site sponsor) when they were on sale for buy 3 get 4th free. I guess Monroe reflex's are the same. I'm not sure of any sales going on right now so maybe someone will be able to help you there.;)

I have the KYB MonoMax and they are pretty good. I like the damping in the back, but the front is a bit soft on the rebound (for me - others probably like them just fine). I got them from TireRack for just under $200.00.

If you want to put more in to the suspension, after shocks, I'd go with the Explorer Express anti-sway bar for about $165.00 (group buy). This reduces the under steer and provides almost neutral steering.

Despite what a few claim about not needing the anti-swat bar for improved handling, I noticed a significant improvement with both the shocks and anti-sway bar. I'd recommend both.

editOn;

I should elaborate - what DavidT notes is good advice because bad shocks (and yours probably are bad) negatively effect other parts and the tires; the stock anti-sway bar has no negative effects on parts.

editOff;

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the EE sway bar ($180+shipping) and Reflex shocks from Rock Auto ($171 included shipping. For a few extra bucks, you can do both. I'm very pleased with both upgrades.

Can go rear shocks and rear sway bar, then do the front shocks latter...

Since your towing I would recommend making the rear brackets on the bar Greasable..

Here is a link to it, Or I do make them...

Todd Z[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts