Synthetic Oil Test in Sport Truck magazine

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The other night I picked up the latest issue of Sport Truck magazine. One of the articles was on synthetic oil vs. dyno. oil; they happened to choose Royal Purple. The conclusion for their dyno test was that they got 10 more hp. & 12 more ft. lbs. of torque at the wheels. That's just by switching to synthetic oil. They also highly recommended a filter magnet; they said it just flat out works to pull out any metals from the oil. I been using RP for a couple of yrs now, and it is great stuff. :D

This may be an idiotic question but here goes. Is synthetic oil completely man-made or do they start with dino oil and re-refine it to make synthetic oil?

Semi-sythetic starts off as dino oil and is refined to a near fully synthetic state; however, full synthetics are a mixture of chemicals that provide much better lubrication and resistance to thermal breakdown compared to regular oils.

Most synthetic oils start out with a highly refined base oil to which is added synthetic additives (ex. Valvoline, Castrol). Not that it's bad stuff. A few others use a synthetic base made from gases like boron and a couple others plus synthetic additives. These are the "true" synthetics like Mobil 1, Amsoil and (I think) Royal Purple and the new Pennzoil Platinum.

Much info can be found at the Bob Is The Oil Guy forums.

The key to synthetic oil, and why it lubricates so well, is because it is refined down to the point that all of the molecules are the same size. In conventional oil, molecules cary a great deal in size. Larger molecules will not penetrate the metal very well. In synthetic, the molecules are refined to the smallest size possible/practical.

But other than that, it is regular oil. It comes from the same petro. Amsoil used to be vegatable oil, I don't know if it still is.

Synthetic is worth every penny, assuming the company you are purchasing from isn't cutting corners on the process. Valvoline in very good, so is Mobile1.

Yep, Mobil (no 'e' on bottle I can promise you) 1 is a fine synthetic oil. Cold weather starts are much easier on the motor with synthetic.

I have been using Amsoil in my wife's 2004 sable, for the last 4000 miles.Aflter abaout the first 1000 miles I checked it and everything looks great.The gas mileage has gone up about 1.5 to 2.0 miles to the gallon.AS soon as my ST get here from Florida I am going to change it over too.:D

For what its worth, I have been running Amsoil synthetic oils, gear lube, auto trans fluid, and grease since 1982. I can tell you from experience that it is GOOD stuff. Absolutely no failures of any kind, and lots of miles out of my vehicles, lawn mowers, motorcycles, boat motors, etc.

As an example of the superiority of synthetic oils, I had a water pump go out of an outboard motor running Amsoil 2 stroke oil at near full throttle, and the engine began to freeze up and slow down. The local boat shop replaced the water pump rotor, and said that anytime a water pump goes out and an engine begins to seize up, the cylinders will be badly scored and will need a new powerhead. I purchased a new head gasket, pulled the head off, and the cylinder walls were perfect, and still had hone marks present from when the motor was new. Put it back together, did a compression test and both cylinders tested right at maximum compression, showing that the pistons didn't collapse and the rings were not damaged. That was 8 or 9 years ago. That motor still runs as good as new today. THAT says alot about the superiority of synthetics over dyno oils!

Gary