Tailgate Emblem Removal and Molding Replace

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Toften

Reaction score
Hey all. Just wanted to share my experience from the weekend. I had to replace my tailgate emblem. The original on the 07 was a painted part with something like a gel cap over it. Once the gel cap cracked the material on the inside started corroding. The reaction became a runaway. I have taken other logos off in the past using fishing line to cut the adhesive. Forget about that. There are three pegs on the tailgate emblem that won't allow the line through. However the studs are exactly the width of a credit card apart. I just pushed the card right through the adhesive. Popped right off. Used WD40 to get the remaining adhesive off. Wiped with alcohol to clean all residue off. Replaced with the new style tailgate logo. It is colored plastic and looks MUCH better than the original. I also replaced the tailgate top molding. That was a breeze. Once you unbolt the tailgate cover and get the plastic rivets out be sure to slide the cover down or you will break the J hooks holding it on. Lastly the rivets holding the tailgate molding on push through the inside part of the rivet to come off. Don't try to pull them out or you will break them. The replacement parts from the parts stores don't fit well. Trust me... I know. lol. When installing any plastic parts use a bit of Dawn on all the contact points for a plastic safe lubricant.

Thanks. I need to replace mine also for the same reason. So the emblem doesn't bolt on from the back, you just pound a credit card underneath it and it pops off?

Didn't need to hit it or anything. The credit card slides right through with a little wiggle. It does help to have the new emblem to see where the studs are at. That will give you a ball park on where to start inserting the card. Be careful not to drag the card across the painted lip around the emblem. Cards work better than anything I have ever found because you can bend it to avoid the paint. No bolts or nuts. No need to open the tailgate for the emblem. Just three plastic alignment bumps. You can't mount the new emblem crooked or off center.

Latest posts