Tailgate Lock Failing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 57267

Reaction score
The tailgate lock on my 2003 ST is failing. The issue appears to be that the lock cylinder is not turning at all times, to move the plastic locking arm on the inside of the tailgate lock.

I've removed the plastic trim panel from the tailgate, and inserted a tie-wrap into the mechanism to ensure the lock remains in the "unlocked" position. Years ago I installed an electronic bolt/piston to enable me to lock the tailgate with the power locks (thanks to instructions on My ST.com!). The electronic bolt/piston works great, so I'm not worried about leaving the tailgate unlocked.

Here is the bottom line question: After I removed the plastic panel and took a good look at the tailgate, it appears that the ST tailgate is similiar to one from an F-150. I'm wondering if I can get a metal closeout panel from an F-150 (hopefully in Forest Green) and install it over the opening, and leave the plastic panel off.

Has anyone done anything like what I am attempting to do?

Any information is appreciated

Peace

I haven't heard of PB Blaster here in California, but I will go seek it out. It appears to work better than either Liquid Wrench or WD-40.

As far as the power tailgate lock goes, you can look in the "Projects" section, under the Cargo Bed catagory, and there are currently two different projects that will allow you to install a power tailgate lock. Looking at these projects I realize that my particular installation is a bit different from either one of those projects, but the net effect is the same, preventing the tailgate lock from actuating.

I read on another thread that the Gen1 ST tailgate is the same as the pre-2000 F-150 tailgate. I may be going junkyard hunting for the closeout panel from one of these trucks to see if it will fit on the ST. When I finally find the part and see what works, I'll let everyone know.

Latest posts