Tailgate lock.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
And the hits just keep on coming.

I took my '02 to the dealership (Maita - don't go there. They are very oily) to have the L-shaped retainer clip put on the rear tonneau cover lock. Now, the tailgate lock won't turn. It's as if the key no longer works. I know it did turn, because the salesworm showed me it worked. I showed my dad it worked, and that's the only two times it's been used since I bought it. After I take it into the dealership for 'service', now it doesn't.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may have caused this, and how I might fix it?

Thanks.

Welcome to the site. You might try putting some graphite lube for locks in it. Downtown Ford in Sacramento is good. FYI, Suburban Ford on Madison Ave. & i-80 is the regional parts dist. center, but don't go there for service. Next imediately replace your shocks if they haven't been changed already. Do a site search on shocks for info. to help you decide which ones. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm confused. Your post was titled "Tailgate Lock", but you only talked about the Tonneau cover lock??

I do not recommend graphite for any lock. It tends to trap and hold moisture and will lead to your locks freezing and/or gumming up with dirt.

WD-40 works very well as does several other spray lubes. WD-40 is a better solvent than a lubricant, but for a lock, that's usually what you need. The solvent cleans any crud out of the lock and then leaves only a very light silicon lubricant that will disipate before it attracts dirty.

Actually, Brake cleaner spray works very well and leaves absolutely no residue.

Graphite was popular years ago before all the new solvents, and silicon/teflon lubricants were developed. Graphite is not good for outdoor locks.

...Rich

Richard, I stated it here.

...Now, the tailgate lock won't turn. It's as if the key no longer works. I know it did turn, because the salesworm showed me it worked. I showed my dad it worked, and that's the only two times it's been used since I bought it. After I take it into the dealership for 'service', now it doesn't.

It's almost as if the tumblers inside the lock shifted or something. I might try the WD-40 route, but if that doesn't work, I suppose I'll have to take it back to the dealer...again.