Tailgate Rattles

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mookie

Reaction score
My tailgate rattles when I'm driving.

I took the first picture with the tailgate down. The second picture was taken with me lifting up on the tailgate...

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

Notice the 1/4" difference? Is there supposed to be something at the hinge point on the passenger side of the gate to prevent this?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is going to be a shot in the dark, but are you sure it's the tailgate? The reason I ask that is because I have a hitch receiver that stays locked in the hitch at all times. I have noticed that it rattles when I drive.

Just a possible thought....

Thanks for your suggestion Jenn, but no, I don't have a hitch.:)

Additional info: When closed, I can shake the tailgate up and down causing noise....

Do you still have the rubber bushings in both sides of the tailgate.... Maybe it needs adjusting or new bushings..

Todd Z

See link..

Jenn D, I had the same problem with my hitch:( but I took it off and put electrical tape around the receiver shaft so that it had a nice snug fit:banana:. It would make an annoying clunk with every bump:angry: but no more:D:cool: Mookie I agree with Todd either the rubber bushing is worn/gone or you just need to adjust the round pivot mounts on the bottom of the tailgate.

Thanks for the responses.

Only the right side hinge shakes.

Here are pictures of the right hinge. Is anything missing? Does the rubber look worn?

I checked out the project. Will aligning the tailgate also tighten it up? Thanks!

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

I looked at it more closely when I move it and it is actually sliding as if I was going to remove the tailgate, but since it is not at the right angle to remove it, it clunks to a stop.

Does this happen to anybody's else?

Mine does it all the time. When closed see if tailgate lines up with tailight(should be flush). If not rubber stops are in the way, or if you have a bed extender, maybe its not secured right. I just slam the tailgate and that makes the latch catch on all the way so i get no rattling

Latest posts