Tailgate Thieves Want Your Pickup

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swshawaii

Staff member
1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Just a reminder to lock after use. Highest theft rate is Texas, many residents here. :fire:

Last edited by a moderator:

Very surprising. I live in Texas. I don't even drive up to my buddy's homes without giving a honk. A lot of gun owners here. At least in my parts. That's a hard way to make a living. So potentially, you could have your tailgate stolen and a shop(well a shady shop) could put back on your original.

A friend of mine just had his stolen off of his 2012 fulls size Chevy pickup. Yep, $1000+ for a painted replacement!:angry:

My neighbor had his stolen off his '94 F-150 last month from in front of our house (across the street). Didn't hear anything the night it happened. Good luck stealing mine, my swingout tire carrier is locked as well as my cap and tailgate.

:angry:

I have mine locked just to make it more difficult to steal my spare. Not impossible, but if anyone wants to climb in the bed, cut the cable, cut the two ratchet straps and LIFT it over the tailgate, they can have it. Now I guess a good side effect is that it's also more difficult to steal my tailgate.

quick and easy deterrent is to put a clamp around the slotted side hinge. It won't stop anyone with tools but will make it harder than a quick drop n go, which is what thieves are counting on.

[Broken External Image]:

I did the same thing to both of my Sport Trac's that Mike did. A simple $2.00 hose clamp works perfectly to prevent someone from lifting out of the right-side of the tailgate pivot.

...Rich

I did the hose clamp thing myself.

To add one more security for it, is. Have some one to hold the tailgate at a 45 degree angle. Turn the hose clamp screw head, to the bottom. You will have to tighten from below. That way even if they get it open. The clamp will have to be removed the same way.

Just makes it more complicated for the thieves...

Eddie,

Pointing the clamp screw downward so that it can only be removed from the bottom sounds like a good idea, but then crawling under the truck to undo the clamp screw is not that difficult and is actually giving the crook additional cover from prying eyes.

Also, I am not sure what you are accomplishing by having someone hold the tailgate at a 45 degree angle? The hose clamp is only clamped on to the fixed pivot cup to cover the open segment that allows the tailgate pivot to be lifted out. The pivot cup and the hose clamp never move.

...Rich

Thieves are looking for the quick, easy grab. If they can't take it in just a few seconds, they risk getting seen or caught. I have done the hose clamp method before, and I will say it really does work! It's a much cheaper alternative to the custom made setups by companies like McGard. One of the locks they sell is nothing but a hose clamp with one of their patented bolt paterns instead of a hex and slot. I've also seen the kind that have a bracket that goes over the pivot and bolts to the tailgate.

Roger,

I agree...The crooks are looking at the quick, easy grab and go. I also think if they see you have a hose clamp, that may deter them from taking your tailgate that time, and may wait for a more opportune time to come back with the tools....like an electric drill/driver to quickly remove the clamp.

I think the idea of a custom bolt pattern is a bit of added security as long as it's not too expensive. But I do think the plain old $2.00 hose clamp is a lot of bang for your security buck.

...Rich

I have left my toolbox full of tools in the bed of my truck for weeks at a time only secured with a bungee. I'm not very concerned about my tailgate. I like the hose clamp idea but if they can get past the tailgate being locked, wouldn't a hose clamp be just another couple seconds?

I'm actually more concerned about the PIAA lights on my brush guard. I've been meaning to better secure them.

Hugh,

Yes, if you have a locking tail gate, then the crooks probably will just pass your truck by. But since a locking tailgate is not standard, on the Sport Trac and many other trucks, the tailgate can be an easy target for thieves.

I installed a electric locking tailgate on both of my Sport Tracs, and even went so far as to install the hose clamp just in case I had a brain fart and forgot to lock the truck....Just an added level of security.

...Rich

I always make sure to lock my tailgate. I live in NYC and anything that is not nailed down can be stolen. I also keep my tonneau cover locked at all times. It makes for a pain in the a$$ when you have to put something in or take something out, but can't beat simply locking it for what the replacements would cost.

I have had a locking tailgate for all my ST's ('01, '07 & '10) I didn't know some didn't come with a lock. I also installed the power tailgate lock on my '07 and bought one for the '10 but haven't had time to install it yet.

The big thing in NYC is stealing the side mirrors. On the '01 ST they were the same as the towncar which is used for many of the cab and livery cars. I had one of mine stole on my '01 right in my driveway. Just grab the mirror part and pull it out. Of course they don't sell only the mirror, you have to buy the entire assembly.

I guess $25 isn't that bad if you live in an area where stealing tailgates is big.

The local ford dealer here had 10 tailgates stolen a month ago value was in the thousands because most of the tailgates stolen had factory backup camera,s in them .

Ah, didn't know locking tailgates weren't standard. I learned something today.

Latest posts