Tailgate Top Rail - loose

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Lavoie

Reaction score
The plastic top rail of my tailgate is very loose. I haven't removed it yet but it seems like there are probably plastic pegs that poke through the metal tailgate that have sheared off.

It's not going to fall off because the plastic piece is screwed to the inside of the tailgate but when I lift the gate to close it, the rail slides up.

Question is - do I have to replace the top plastic rail or is there a fix so I don't have to replace it.

Does anyone have a schematic of how it's fastened to the metal tailgate and is there in fact sheared pegs?

I recently saw a Gen II driving around with the entire top rail missing - and I did see a few holes in the metal tailgate.

It's attached with pegs...at least the one on my '02 was ( I removed it to install a "backdraft" -flush spoiler, pic in my library).

You could try using 3M double sided auto trim tape on it. That's what the the "backdraft" uses. It's been on for a couple of years with no issues.

Latest posts