Tailpipe.(long rant and post..sorry)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn stonbraker 2

Reaction score
Ok, last question. I promise. I took my ST in to get the performance muffler put on today and the butthead couldn't find his "Sawzaw" to remove the old one so "we have to try it another day". I'm not to happy about it since I took it to every other muffler place in town and NOBODY wants to fabrcate a tailpipe to exit out the rear of the vehicle. Believe me, I'm about to scrap the whole f-ing thing. Anyway, what I'm asking of all the fine brothers and sisters I have on here is this: if you have a rear exiting exhaust and if it's not to much trouble, take a pic if the way the passenger side pipe to let me see how you have it run. Every place I went to today looked under it and said "wow, it's really going to be hard to get it to come between the leafspring and spare". I'm like then why does everyone with dual exhaust have on pipe on the pass. side and one on the driver's side. Believe me, this is really getting to me. I may try to do it myself. I have an idea but I just like to have some back up ideas in my head. Thanks to all that reply ahead of time.;)

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't go to a muffer shop as many of them only do stock replacements and NOT custom work. Go to a performance shop/motorsports shop that does custom exhaust work where they can bend their own tubing. It is really that simple.

SST, these were places that advertised "costom exhaust work". The thing that got me today was this guy knew that I had a timeframe for today (my daughter at preschool and I had to pick her up) and he was like "no problem". Well I was to be there alittle after 9am and he doesn't get there till after 10am. Then he looks for his sawzaw for about 45 min and I'm like "hey I have to go and pick up my daughter at 11:30. Nice start to my day let me tell ya.;)

by the way, thanks Todd. I like that look with the dual but I'm thinking more of straight out if I can with the single.I may have to go more your way with what I'm thinking of doing though.

I understand Stonemiser. A lot of shops will say they do the work just to get you in the door. Find a shop that works on SCCA racing cars or better yet does custom fabricating on vehicles.

The Borla cat back kit I had on my 01 Trac routed the tailpipe outboard of the leaf spring. Maybe you could do something similar for you duals.

[Broken External Image]:

You must have a bunch of lazy shops where you are. You are the customer-they should do it the way you want it.

I agree that sawzall is not needed. Just use the cutting torch and chop it off.

You should not torch off stainless steel....

My office does not allow this is any type of construction practice... Stainless must be cut with a saw...

Here is a quote from our spec book:

Stainless Steels having a high level of Chromium (Cr) cannot be cut by simple oxy-cutting methods due to the refractory nature (very high melting point) of the Chrome Oxide which is formed.

Modified or other methods therefore have to be employed.

Todd Z

My shop does custom exhaust pipe bending. I can tell you from experience, that Stainless Steel exhaust pipe does not like to get torched.

It creates a point that allows rusting to start pre-mature. The metal is changed after you torch it.

At weld points the same thing happens just not as bad. For this reason, if we are forced to weld a joint, we paint it with engine or exhaust paint after it cools.

We always use a saz-all unless there is no way to get to it.

Stone don't give up. You just have to find a shop that can do more than simplistic elementary OEM replacements.

Show them this, it will make their OEM head spin.:lol:

[Broken External Image]:

chops, that is wicked!!! I saw those on yours when I was doing research on what I wanted to do. Honestly if I was going dual, that is what I wanted to do. Looks great! Thanks to all who have helped. I think I got what I needed.;)

Thanks on the stainless correction. I forgot that it might be stainless. Yes, you cannot use a torch effectively on stainless steel.

As for Chops' tailpipes, they are OK until you back up to the loading dock down at the feed store and smash the pipes back in.

Stainless steel can be cut with a Plasma Cutter and a Laser.

I worked for Versalift and some part were made of stainless steel and that is how it was cut there.

...Rich