Telling a colleague they smell...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard all those stories about lonely guys and sheep... I guess goats aren't too far of a stretch from sheep, huh?

Actually, I suspect some of the goats have had too far of a stretch...

(OMG--Did I just type that??? :eek: :unsure: )

I think many middle eastern cultures do not bath regularly because of the lack of water in the desert climate. I think they blame the smell on the camels, but there are not camels here.

About 15 years ago I got into a cab in Boston with 3 other friends. My friends got into the back seat and I got in front with the driver....Big mistake !! He was from somewhere in the middle east and smelled worse than a camel with diareha !! The funny part was that he kept asking me what kind of cologne I was wearing?? I'm not sure if he wanted to buy some, or was implying that I smelled bad :blink: I could have been riding with a skunk in the cab and it would have smelled better than the cab driver did. When we got out of the cab we all had a big laugh at my expense.

...Rich

In Turkey they have these minibusses you can catch for a the equivalent of 25 cents to anywhere in the city. In August they are just packed with locals. When you get out, the smell lingers on your clothes and in your nose, just like the smell of bleach.

It is incredible stench, but like others said, it is cultural, and I think genetic. In fact, I think my ex-wife carries the gene, since she and my daughter both have a problem, even when they shower every day. I can skip a day and even go to the gym on the second day and I still will smell better than them. It was just one of the many things that annoyed my ex-wife about me. :D

True story (from a guy whose nickname is bo;) - This one gets a little gross -

When I first arrived at a new duty station, my co-workers warned me about a lady who smelled bad....in a feminine way. So bad, reportedly, that you could smell her 10 minutes after she left her chair.

I thought it was some prank they were playing on the new guy....let's see if we can get him to smell her chair...We're Navy and 18 years old OK?!?!?!

I didn't fall for it, but of course, was still curious if they were joking or not.

I saw her leave for a break and casually walked over *near* the chair, standing about 2 feet away and damned if it wasn't true. That chair reeked! No one else would sit in it; although everyone normally shared chairs in the computer center.

I have no idea if anyone ever actually had a talk with her.

Have a nice dinner!

Don't take it upon yourself to deal with it. It is a minefield. Sexual harassment, cultural insensitivity, personal bias, etc. especially if no other staff member or customer has filed a documentable complaint. It is your opinion (in the eyes of a potential hearing officer).

1. If you work for a company with a HR person/dept., seek their advice.

2. If you must address the issue, make it a staff training issue regarding dress, appearance and personal hygeine. Most high public contact organizations set standards, etc.

3. By doing # 2 above, you also pave the way for progressive, reasonable discipline if the situation continues.

What eltee said above.

It sounds from the tone work for a large company. Do not try and take matters into your own hands. If her hygiene is bothering you and you feel it is maybe effecting business, then it is 100% an HR issue.

Good luck.

When I was in college, a group of "these people" (my form of "that one") would come into the Registrar's office to register. All of them smelled exactly as you describe. We surmised that it must be some kind of hair dressing (camel dung) or some other kind of grooming aid, because of the universally similar stench.

Being a small business owner, rather than trying to get HR to handle it (which is me), or one of her supervisors to do it (which is also me), I probably wouldn't have hired her in the first place! ;)

We all live in a Global world, if said oder is due to not using underarm deodorant, thats a cultural thing.

Americans are killing themselves with anti- bacterial soaps, underarm deodorants are linked to breast cancers.

Clean is good granted, but I like my wimmins to smell natural:)

We all live in a Global world, if said oder is due to not using underarm deodorant, thats a cultural thing.

Americans are killing themselves with anti- bacterial soaps, underarm deodorants

Yeah, don't you know Katey Winters died from frozen armpits because she used "Ice Blue Secret"?

Trac_511, aka Flip,

Do not bring this to her attention yourself. Seek advise from your HR manager and that is how you should ask the HR manager, explain that you need advise on what you should do or if you should do anything at all, tell them you find it difficult to concentrate on your job and the odor is offensive to you and probably others.

HR could send out a general messege to the entire staff, that says:

Every employee is expected to come to work clean and in business ( or what ever attire) each day, Please keep this in mind when preparing for work each morning.

Thank You,

HR Department

This way, it does not single out any one person, and you are not involved in telling her ( nor should you discuss it with other employees) then, if it continues in the next week or so, then the HR manager can call in that employee and have a closed door private talk with the person without anyones knowledge.

Tell your HR manager when you ask for the advise that you do not want to create embarrassment for her, you just need this delicate issue taken care of. HR should not be involving your name when they deal with her. This should be handled privately and discreetly by HR.

HR could send out a general messege to the entire staff, that says:

Every employee is expected to come to work clean and in business ( or what ever attire) each day, Please keep this in mind when preparing for work each morning.

Thank You,

HR Department

This way, it does not single out any one person, and you are not involved in telling her ( nor should you discuss it with other employees) then, if it continues in the next week or so, then the HR manager can call in that employee and have a closed door private talk with the person without anyones knowledge.

I hate it when the employer punishes all the employees due to the one or two that cause the problems. Seems to me that the better way would be to directly address the cause instead of accusing everyone and stirring up the entire bunch. I hate pussyfoot management! Sorry.

Gavin said, <I>"I hate it when the employer punishes all the employees due to the one or two that cause the problems. Seems to me that the better way would be to directly address the cause instead of accusing everyone and stirring up the entire bunch. I hate pussyfoot management! Sorry."</I>

I'm with you, Gavin. I've seen this too many times at my job, and the fact is that general memos like that do not work. They are ignored by the guilty party and just p!ss off everyone else.

On one rare occasion, the department head at the 9-1-1 center where I work actually handled it correctly.

I worked with a greasy-haired, old-school redneck-type guy who literally lit one cigarette off of another (this was before smoking was banned in county buildings). He claimed to be allergic to all deodorants and antiperspirants, and didn't use either. To top it all off, when we were on night shift, he would wear his uniform all day, wherever he went, because he liked to be seen in it. So, after smoking & sweating in his uniform all day, he was really ripe when he came to work.

I had a long talk with the department head, who later called the guy into his office and told him to clean up his act or find another job. He cleaned up his act (well, except for the smoking at work part).

It is not meant to be a punishment, for the employees that it would not apply to they don't have to worry about the memo. But it is and would be a politically correct way to get a messege to one person without singleling out one person and causing embarrassement. Plus, it gives the company, HR for that matter an in writing statement to the general population to take a corrective action (should they need to) by having it in writing, .

It is not meant to be a punishment, for the employees that it would not apply to they don't have to worry about the memo.

Yes--but everyone will assume that it doesn't apply to them--even the ones for whom it was directly written. They don't think/realize that they smell, and will therefore ignore the message. This isn't an issue where fluoridating everyone's water is going to fix the problem for those few who have the problem.

I think if in their statement they could also and more than probably would add * This is a reminder that ...*

What it would do is make everyone more concious of themselves when getting ready for work. It is laying the ground work to correct a problem by having the genral statement in writing.

Once they do this, and if the employee does not comply, they then, could have the private meeting with that employee. This way the employee could not play the discrimination or the I am being singled out card, since the entire company got the memo.

It is such a touchy subject and not one that anyone likes to bring up.

Latest posts