temp/compass

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Helstad

Reaction score
The compass and temp have gone out on the 03 I sold to a buddy of mine. Sometimes they work if he fiddles with them, and sometimes not at all. Any suggestions on what to look for. Dealer says replace overhead console, but checking with those who know (ST members) first. Thanks in advance for any info.

Rod

Are you sure that it's actually out? Or has the button been press enough times to turn off the display. Pushing the button will cycle the display through Fahrenheit, Celsius, and Off. Try that first if you haven't already done so.

Sometimes they work if he fiddles with them, and sometimes not at all. Any suggestions on what to look for.

Sounds like a loose connection. Or the push button membrane is dirty. I think there is a project for install. Should show you how to pull it or replace it from a salvage.

I'd do what Eddie said first. Also, you can actully buy a new wiring harness for the O/H console if you need to do that. So, you do not need to buy a new one. And, besides you can pick up a O/H console from a local auto recycler, or off eBay for a fraction of what the dealer wants.

He is going to call me when he gets back on Sunday so I can take a look. I will also try to figure out how it comes apart. I just though maybe someone else had the same problem and could share some insight. Thanks.

Rod