temperature gauge in my Explorer Sport Trac 2007

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn johnson

Reaction score
Hello, the temperature gauge in my Explorer Sport Trac 2007, will run hot and then back to normal when I am driving the vehicle. The engine makes a blowing sound like it is running hard. It will do this and then come back to normal. I am hoping you can tell me what the situation could be.

Thank you so much.

Well, I believe the 'blowing' sound is the fan clutch turning on and off. Its thermostatically controlled. As far as the running hot, could be anything from a bad thermostat to your water pump. Most new thermostats are of the 'fail-safe' kind, that if it goes, it will stay in the open position. This will cause the truck to run cooler than normal. Start with your antifreeze. Is it full? Any leaks from the hoses, etc? Is it fresh? When did you last change it? When you do, use a bottle of 'water wetter' with the coolant. This helps to break the surface tension of the water and allows it to make better contact with the metal parts. Start with the fluid, then check the T-stat and replace if necessary. As far as the pump, don't know if you have a 6 or an 8 cylinder, but you may want a mechanic check that out. Good luck, Bob

Thanks to all for responding.

Coolant is full. No leaks from hose. The coolant is not fresh. I was considering getting the coolant changed in it. Yes. I have a 6 cylinder.

I was considering changing the coolant and getting the mechanic to replace the thermostat. Do you think that is wise, if so. how much extra do u think they will charge me?

NOTE: I also discussed this with Ford but they seem to play dumb about this problem. I suspect that others are having similar problems. Also, the lastt time I was at the Ford dealer, they didn't report any fluids as being low when i got my oil change.

I've also noticed the "rushing" sound from my engine, but consider it normal as the fan clutch cycles. I live in Dallas/Ft Worth area, so hot temperatures here are the norm. See in your previous post that you're near 60K - if you've not done a full coolant service, you're overdue. Since you're seeing temp gauge fluctuations I'd replace the thermostat at same time. Agree with Bob C's advice on the coolant additive. I use AMSOIL Racing Dominator Coolant Boost. An easy thing you can do is to clean the bug debris from the A/C radiator to improve airflow to the engine radiator.

Hello guys. I did as some of you suggested. I had the coolant flush/replaced and had the thermostat changed at the same time. So far. I am not experiencing the problems that I reported. I will keep my fingers crossed.

I love forums llike this.

Latest posts