Test drove an 07-my observations

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marsha Walker

Reaction score
Hi All,

Got to take an 07 for a test spin Saturday. I felt it was very nice, almost to nice to throw a load of dirt in the back. It felt more like a Explorer then a Truck. The turn signal appeared and felt like I was always turning right. Way to high up on the column. This particular Trac had the two-tone Tan leather. It was almost too nice. It felt like it was in conflict with the rubber floors. Is it truck or explorer? The front door panels looked cheap and didnt care much for the door handles both inside and out. The rear seats dont fold as flat as mine. The dog wouldn't care for it. The 6-speed automatic was interesting as well. Felt like it was slipping when it shifted every 10 miles or so on acceleration. It was the v8. The radio controls on the steering wheel are great. But the greatest improvement is the noise level. Still trying to analyze my entire experience, it may take awhile just like it took me a couple of years to actually like (and love) my 01 Trac. Just random thoughts but they might help someone decide for themselves. Marsha

I agree with you on the door handles. My step brother has an '06 Explorer which I looked over closely on Friday. Those interior door handles look cool and futuristic, but they are barely functional. One other thing is the interior chrome trim. I don't know about others, but it seems distracting to have bright reflective objects scattered throughout the cabin. I prefer the non-bling interior of the old Explorers. :cool:

At the meet, there was a new Trac to look at. I noticed the new 2007 has that industrial plastic that reminds me of a Toyota dash. Not for me.

Tom

Pat Freeman said that Ford is definately changing the door handles; biggest complaint. Also, we saw on the roll-down rear window in production which started last week.

I drive Pat Freeman's '07 at Huber Farm before he left, & it didn't feel like a truck but didn't feel like a car either. I did like the ride & handling, but not completely sold on the styling.

The door handles going through the production line were still the same but Ford did say that (August, maybe?) the indents will be in the arm rest to pull the door shut. The issue was that the arm rests were also an integral part of side impact safety and they had to come up with an alternative.

Rodger - it was fun riding along with you as a passenger in my ST. :D