The 2-3 tranny issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey Travis

Reaction score
Not to beat a dead horse with this issue but I am in the last week of my warranty and want to be able to difinitively let the dealership know my issue.

At approximately what speed (mph) will the ST be going from 2-3.

40-45mph seems to be where I normally feel the lack of engagement and/or lack of 'go' if you will until it engaged.

Still no O/D light, I guess I can expect that after next week when the warranty has expired. I am on the fence to get the extended warranty. I guess it would pay for itself once the tranny finally bails on me.

Another question would be, can you get the extended warranty after the other has expired?

JT#14

**I could be totally wrong/off the mark**

But, I've heard that if you have a problem, or a problem that is starting, and you take it to the dealership while in warranty to document it. Then, if the problem actually occurs shortly after the warranty is up, they still have to cover it (as long as a documented claim is on record while the vehicle was in warranty). Otherwise, what's to stop them from doing ANY warranty work the last 1K miles of your Manufacturers warranty....they would just put "could not duplicate" for every problem and send you on your way knowing that it would take up those miles just to keep coming back.

Hopefully someone will chime in on this one.

Travis,

The shifting is not all speed related. It's all based on engine rpms, throttle position, load, and then road speed. If you are putting around town, you can already be in 4 or 5th at 25-30 MPH. So speed is not the deciding factor as to when the transmission shifts.

There is also a problem with the 5R55E leaking at Valvebodiy gasket. That leak is lowering the fluid pressure that cause the transmission to slip at any gear change.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to diagnose problems when the symptoms you are experiencing are pretty vague.

...Rich

Being that your ST is a 2003, you have the updated valve body already.

Do you actually feel the 2-3 flair?? Are you sure it is shifting into 2 and not another gear?You may just be feeling the dam long slip times that the tranny has.

A good xcal or epc adjust should solve your problem

If you 100% sure it is flaring, IT will not be long before you can kiss that thing good bye.

Get the extended warranty asap, you can not buy one from ford after the 3/36 is up.

Todd Z

As Jenn said make sure they document, and save your paperwork...I have got 2 transmisions on other cars replaced inthe past after warranty...Its all in the documentation, what make the system work....

Todd - it could be the long slip time because I did think 2-3 at 40-45mph with normal acceleration was a bit odd.

I did have about 2 months ago a clank, clank, clank before it engaged and that is when I took it in the first time. It is so sporadic though that to try to get it to duplicate when they have it is hit or miss.

Can I assume I can do a search on xcal and epc and get up to speed with what they would entail & cost? You have seen my 'projects' I am not really a DIYer - would rather pay to have it done and done right.

Thanks for the info.

JT#14

Travis, yeah search those terms...

The epc is not a cost thing at all.. the cost is the labor to remove the pan, filter, and fluid...

Good luck, keep us posted..

Todd Z

Back to the dealer next Monday. No problem leaving it as I then drive the Jeep. I sure do miss it.

I have taken to the ST but the Jeep is my first love (vehicular-ly speaking)

Ok, some progress on the issue.

You can see what was completed on my invoice.

Essentially:

Removed Transmission Pan R and R valve body replace EPC Solenoid

Two big differences I noticed. A lack of a clicking noise that I continually heard before when driving - sometimes when at a stop.

The shifting did seem to go much better and it was not the looongggg drawn out shift.

Hopefully this holds for say another 200,000 miles?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read about the XCal II. It seems as though something like that could be dangerous in the wrong hands.

None the less thanks to all who have added input to this discussion.

I sense that some here are so worried about the tranny that they believe all will fail right after the warranty expires. I have 42.8K miles on my 04 and its shifts just like it was new. Remember, the tranny will only shift into 5th [OD] at 45 mph or higher. It will stay in OD at lower speeds. Fact is, if there are no definite symptoms of a problem, how do you expect the dealer to fix anything.

Symptoms- This was a follow up to another post regarding my Tranny and I had mentioned a clunking noise, lack of power after the shift (or possibly during), etc but none the less, if there is a known fix - e.g. fix/clean/replace the EPC Solenoid - then they should do it based upon the feedback/problems/issues that have been reported from all ST owners.

Ford should want me to own this vehicle but with the issues I have read about here and experienced I am not always sure and I have only owned it since August '05. Whereas I have owned my Jeep since '97 and am loyal to it and never plan on getting rid of it (although the '07 Jeep Unlimited is tempting). I expected when I bought the ST to have the same loyalty and grow older with it and the Jeep. A platoon system if you will to help extend the life or both. That cannot happen if the ST becomes a money pit for fixes, large or small.

I sense that some here are so worried about the tranny that they believe all will fail right after the warranty expires.

This is me especially after I got the additive recall letter when I'd already put several thousand miles on the tranny. But my fear was realized at 18K miles and now at 28K miles with the occurence of slipping. The first time, the dealership replaced the EPC solenoid but only after a flush did the flair disappear. The second time, well, as of now my Trac's at the dealership waiting for a replacement tranny.

One reason I bought new is so I don't get previous owners' problems due to abuse. But as luck would have it the tranny bug bit me. I have given lots of praise to the Trac so I cannot be catagorized as an owner who registers for the sake of posting a complaint. I have become a statistic. I do love my Trac and still have lots of respect for Ford, but for a tranny to fail me in less than two years' ownership of a $28K truck, I certainly have lost the bragging rights for the Trac and of Ford. What do I say in Ford's defense when my boss tells me for less than $28K I could've gotten a used BMW like he has? What do I say when my gf brags about Toyota's "legendary" reliability?

No matter what happens (or not happen) in the next 100K miles, I can only push so much to the back of my mind the bitter experience I'm having now at less the 30K miles, but it will never be forgotten.

Last edited by a moderator:
Flip, ask your boss how much he can tow or haul in his BMW. As for your g/f, you're not married yet, always time to find a Ford girl. I just passed 70k on my ST on Thursday; regular maintenance and gas are all I've paid for on my ST. One item was replaced due to a TSB, and another was on warranty, other than that, it's been very reliable and I push it to the limits.

LOL Jeff.

But you get my point though, so what if I can tow or haul stuff in the back? My tranny went at 28K miles! Nothing can get passed that IMO.