The Dealer called back.. here's the scoop!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Yee

Reaction score
So I've been having issues with my Trac stalling only in reverse.. I tried many of the little fixes and checks to ensure it wasn't anything I could fix before I gave into the dealer....

I got the call from them an hour ago and the mechanic told me that my sport trac needs a transmission service and the pcm needs to be reflashed.

Now.. I asked him 3 times.. "are you absolutely certain this is the cause of the problem?" and he replied with "Yes" each time..

I changed my trans fuild and filter about 10 months ago.. I even installed the trans pan drain plug while i did this.. I know my tranny fluid was totally clean as it was one of the things I checked when this problem started...

I also disconnected the battery and flashed my trac back to stock 3 times with my Xcal2.. so you might see why I am a bit skeptical.

Is there something the dealer can do more with flashing the pcm over me flashing it with my xcal2?

The estimate is 350 dollars to do the trans service, pcm flash and diagnosis.

No I never asked that... I don't know if there is any negotiating power with the dealer on this.. this is why i asked the mechanic 3 times if he was sure that this was the cause.

If it doesn't fix the problem I will definitely be complaining about it if they charge me..

Reflashing the PCM with the latest level info from Ford is significantly different than what you can do with your Xcal2.

If later level recal info is available, it may fix your issue by itself.

Well this doesn't really make much sense.

If you re-flash your PCM with Fords new updates say, and then you overwrite that with the XCal2 info, isnt that taking off what is fixing his problem, and renders his XCal2 useless, cause it will have a tranny issue using it?

Why is it also that it requires this new flash, it was running properly before, so why all of a sudden is the computer not right?

Wierd.

the computer may not be interpreting the signal from the truck that it is in reverse and to adjust idle and air and fuel...

Give it a try...

ONLY thing is if they change the PCM code, GET IT, because you will need it for xcal adjustments and stuff if you have one or plan to get one..

Todd Z

Check the ground wires. The reverse jolt of the tranny might just be enough for one of the ground wires to lose contact. Just a thought. I had random stalling problems. I replaced the battery negative terminal cable and that fixed it.

I actually have multiple gournds on my trac.. and am currently running 4 - 4 guage ground wires off the battery to compensate for the 0 awg power cable that runs my audio system...

I just hope that this fixes my problem.. I went to the dealer because I already wasted 300 dollars at another shop for nothing..

So.... I guess it is fixed now..

I doubt the fact that they did a transmission filter/flush did anything since I just changed the fluid and filter not more than 15,00kms ago.. but I do think the pcm reflashing might have.

They say its fixed.. but for some reason I am still not happy..

If you re-flash your PCM with Fords new updates say, and then you overwrite that with the XCal2 info, isnt that taking off what is fixing his problem, and renders his XCal2 useless, cause it will have a tranny issue using it?

I'm under the impression that you cannot overwrite a loaded program with another since the XCal will first take in and save the current tune before it even uploads a replacement one.

The XCal2 overwrites what's in there in order to load the custom program. Yes, it does first download what is there, so that it can be restored.

I think XST is wondering if the custom program, that seems to have a problem, is loaded back, will the problem then come back. It's a good question.

My curiosity is, if both the custom and stock programs have the same problem, from where did it come?

It seems the solution is to ensure whatever it is with the new programming that fixes the problem gets in to future custom programs.

Latest posts