The Final Word on Gears and Tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather inOC

Reaction score
Okay so I've heard mixed thoughts on larger tires working with certain gear ratios, so what's the final word? Do I need higher gearing to run 32" tires? I've got the 3.73 non-limited slip on my 4X4 and I want to keep the warranty AND have the larger tires. Am I okay with the stock gearing?

-Heather in OC

Your ok as far as drivabilty goes, But your speedo will not read accurately, That could void the warranty, IF the dealer proves it reads incorrectly. If you flash the computer to read correctly, you should be fine. I think if you install a speed calibrator, since it gets cut into the VSS wire, they could try to void something.

I personally think you would have to blow the motor or transmission before they start looking into the speedometer reading correctly..

Todd Z

As far as gears and the warranty, what they don't know won't hurt them. Moving from a 3.73 to a 4.10 won't make much difference anyway. 4.56's with a 32" tire would effectively be a little deeper than stock.

why 32's with a body lift you can fit them with out it, you need to go bigger then run some 4:56's. 265 75 16 no rubbing just 1.5" TT/SL

[Broken External Image]:

Heather,

You've already got my input on this one.. Lol.. ;) But if you want my honest opinion. I think you should do what I said in the e-mail, get the tires, and get the X cal 2 so you can calibrate the speedometer.

~Josh