The REAL Reason

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger Batts

Reaction score
Just read an article about the new 2012 Ranger. I think I know the real reason why it won't be sold on this continent.

A 21-gallon diesel fuel tank provides a possible range of 620 miles. In a recent mileage test conducted by Ford, we're told a 2.2-liter Ranger got a class-best 990 miles before it ran out of fuel.

I don't understand America's fear of diesel. A four door diesel like that would be amazing and with a good suspension could be a beast.

It's been said many times before: The all-new 2012 Ford Ranger will not be sold in North America. Why? It's too close in size and capability to the best-selling Ford F-150, according to Ford executives. And if this new Ranger were offered, it could confuse buyers and hurt F-150 sales.

What a BS line. All about the $$$$.

I dont need a stinking F-150...........:fire:

Two real problems with buy a diesel these days for a family car:

1. While diesel fuel is available, it is not conveniently nearby (at least not around here.

2. Currently, the price is too high. It used to be that diesel was cheaper than gas, now it is usually a dime more expensive that premium gas. Why is that?

Very readily available in my area.

At 47 MPG, I would pay 10 cents more per gallon, or even 30 cents more over regular gas.

And that's in a Ranger. Imagine that engine in a Focus or Fiesta.

I agree with Hugh, Plenty of diesel available here in TX and the MPG of th diesel more than makes up for the little higher costs.

The reason why diesels have not been popular in American cars goes back to the 1980's when GM took a basic gasoline 350 V8 and modified it into a diesel. They sucked big time and it was a total flop.

If the engine is designed as a diesel from the start with the new diesel technology they are great engines. Unlike the diesels of the past, they don't stink, they aren't noisy and they have great, efficient power.

Diesel cost more due to the additional refinement necessary to remove excessive amounts of Sulphur to meet EPA standards.

...Rich

Latest posts