Them Darn Dats

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, we made it to Disneyland w/o the ST. We were just south of Stockton, CA when I could not get over 2500 rpm & had not power. I dropped it off at a garage in Tracy (just east of Stockton). We rented a Chevy Impala (all they had) They figured out the All of the catalytic converters were shot; the front 2 were clogged solid, and the back 2 were almost as bad. Anyway I am getting new ones, and hopefully it will be ready to be picked up on the return trip. Sets us back $1492.00, $1200 approx. is just for new parts. One thing that I did find out is that Ford has seen this happen. I will post replys either tomorrow eve. or Sat. :eek:

Sorry to hear it. I hope it didn't put too much of a damper on your trip. Never heard of clogged cat converters, but what do I know about them anyway. Please keep us posted.

The federal law on a cat is 60K miles I believe...

That sucks... See, and nice y pipe and random tech high flow cat would be alto cheaper...

Todd Z

I am not saying remove ALL the cats, Just a min of 2.... ;);)

Todd Z

For California cars and light trucks from 1981 through 1989, the Emissions Defect Warranty provided coverage for five years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever came first. From 1990 through 1997, Emissions Defect Warranty remains in effect for five years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever comes first. Car that are equipped with California certified emissions systems in other areas that have adopted California emissions standards AND California warranty regulations are also covered under the California version of the warranty.

The covered parts are essentially the same as those shown in the proceeding sample lists. This is the short-term Emissions Defect Warranty. The California regulations also require a long-term Emissions Defect Warranty. From 1990 and later, the long-term warranty lasts for seven years or 70,000 miles (112,000km), whichever comes first. Here is a sample list of the covered components:

Catalytic Converter

Ignition Distributor

Exhaust Manifold(s)

Fuel Injection Rail Assembly

Fuel Injector

Fuel Injector Supply Manifold

Fuel Sensor(1)

Fuel Tank

Idle Air Control Valve

Injector Driver Module

Intake Manifold

Intercooler

Powertrain Control Module(PCM)

Supercharger

Synchronizer Assembly

Throttle Body Assembly

Transducer Assembly

Turbocharger Assembly

Three-Way Catalyst (TWC) Air Control Valve

Volume Air Flow Sensor

(1) Flex-fuel car only

Again, keep in mind that this is a sample listing. Check the warranty information for your own car to see which specific items are eligible for coverage.

http://www.procarcare.com/icarumba/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/icar_resourcecenter_encyclopedia_buy-own4.asp